Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Had Lunch With Carlos Boozer Today...

Nets-related discussion.

Re: Had Lunch With Carlos Boozer Today...

Postby Dumpy » Thu May 14, 2009 11:02 am

NetIncome wrote:Back to Boozer

Stories in the SLC papers laying out how the Jazz have to decide soon re Boozer...Okur wants more money, Millsap wants money. Korver can become a free agent. Kirilenko has been told to bulk up.

I think Boozer goes for a pittance...not necessarily to the Nets, but to someone.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... t-out.html

I wonder what a "pittance" might be in this case.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. --Albert Einstein
Dumpy

Postby Netted » Thu May 14, 2009 1:59 pm

My guess is it would have to be to a team that Boozer wants to re-sign with and Utah will want to take back minimal salary (so they can re-sign Okur and Milsap) and a pick or two. Maybe a young prospect. I think the major key for Utah will be removing Boozer and not taking back much in salary (assume they want to save about $5 million after trading Boozer). Which hurts the Nets because they aren't under the cap or in possession of a contract with a small guarantee.

Teams like Detroit, Toronto and OKC will fair well because they have the cap space. Trading Simmons and picks for Boozer hurts Utah's payroll this season. The other factor is where does Boozer want to go. I think he winds up with Detroit. Dallas has Stackhouse's deal which has only $2 out of $7.25 million guaranteed. Unfortunately for them they don't have any other decent salary to add to the deal... plus we have their 2010 pick so they can't trade this years or their 2011 pick!
Netted

Postby NetIncome » Mon May 18, 2009 9:17 am

Jazz new owner, son of the late Larry Miller, didnt have that many nice things to say about Carlos in the end of season interview with KSL.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=6525149&autostart=y

Miller said, "We'd love to have Carlos here. Carlos is a very talented player. I think he would be one who would be considered a marquee player. But I do have concerns about Carlos' defense and I have some concerns about his ability to lead the team."
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby NetIncome » Mon May 18, 2009 10:41 am

@Netted

I agree with your points. What the Nets don't have is a nice contract that has a small guarantee or no guarantee if cut in July or August. The Spurs have two: Bowen and Oberto, who make a combined $7.8 million but only half of that is guaranteed. Those contracts are quite sweet...and there are a number of them around the league. I did a list a couple of off-season reports back.

What the Nets and Jazz COULD do (if they wanted) is add pieces on either side with Boozer and Simmons the key pieces. The Jazz owe CJ Miles, a back up PG $3.7 million this year and $3.7 million next year and a team option for $3.7 million in 2011-12. Add him to the Jazz side and Ryan Anderson or Josh Boone to the Nets side (plus a pick or two and some cash) and your overall savings is in the range you're talking about. Also Simmons has a trade kicker in his contract. I don't know if it comes into play each time he's traded or just the first time.

Korver announced over the week that he too is opting out and Miller said the Jazz want him back. What each of those guys--Boozer, Okur and Korver--no doubt want is a contract extension which would have a reduced salary (compared to what they're owed now) in the first year, then multiple years at increasing salaries. That's what VC did. That could help them clear cap space for a bigger Millsap contract. Still, I cannot imagine the Jazz signing Boozer to a contract. The fans want him gone. I have to think that they want to trade him, particularly since the Miller family makes its money in...auto sales in the intermountain west. Miller said that in terms of revenues, the Jazz are equal to their fourth largest Toyota dealership.
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby Netted » Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Miles started 72 games and is making only $3.7 million. I think that's the type of player they will want to hang on to. He didn't play over the last few games of the season, or many minutes in the playoffs, but I think that is because he dislocated his finger on April 3rd.

I don't see anyone on that roster they'd want to get rid of other than Boozer and Kirilenko.
Netted

Postby Kid Chocolate » Mon May 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Miles is a 21 year old wing who averaged just under 10 ppg. He's not going to be a throw-in in any trade.
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby NetIncome » Mon May 18, 2009 10:05 pm

They will have to trade someone other than Boozer...if they want a good deal with cap savings, draft pick(s), young players. It's the second rule of trading a big star: it will be complicated and multiple players on both sides. Look at that roster. Not a lot of options.
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby Netted » Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 am

NetIncome wrote:They will have to trade someone other than Boozer...if they want a good deal with cap savings, draft pick(s), young players. It's the second rule of trading a big star: it will be complicated and multiple players on both sides. Look at that roster. Not a lot of options.

They can trade him to a team under the cap, which is what I was saying. For the Nets to get him it would have to be more complicated with multiple players, unless a third team with cap space is involved.
Netted

Postby NetIncome » Tue May 19, 2009 9:35 am

Ah, but therein lies the rub. Who will be under the cap? The Pistons will be. So will the Kings. Probably the Grizzlies. (If either of the latter two win #1 in the lottery, they will have little need for Boozer). Remember the salary cap will be less this year.

I believe that Boozer was meeting with the Nets along with a lot of other teams, probably with the Knicks as well. It was a sales tour, I think, rather than house hunting. Tell me what your interest is and we can help you make a deal with the Jazz. In Detroit, the pitch might be different.
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby Netted » Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 am

Detroit, OKC and Toronto have the best chance from being desirable to Boozer and cap space. OKC already tried to make a splashy move with Chandler so they are not adverse to taking on big salary.
Netted

Postby ghoti » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:50 pm

I think a positive encounter with a fan like this can really help!

Players want to play in places with great fans and rockin' arenas. It's not as important as money, but it is definitely a consideration.

Boozer's seen big crowds in NJ, but he knows that the team plays in an old arena that the fans (and probably the players) don't really like and the crowds are small when the team isn't winning. A face to face encounter with a passionate fan might really stick in his mind when he's deciding where he wants to play. It humanizes the "fanbase".
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Dumpy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 pm

That's a good thought, ghoti.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. --Albert Einstein
Dumpy

Postby ghoti » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Dumpy wrote:That's a good thought, ghoti.

These guys are mini corporations, but they are people, too.

Sometimes little things like this count for a more than it seems like they would.
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Vuchato » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:01 pm

the nets should hire a bunch of fans as secret agents and fly them around to see people on other teams.
Vuchato

Previous

Return to Nets