Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Ratner Ranked 2nd Worst Owner in All of Sports

Nets-related discussion.

Ratner Ranked 2nd Worst Owner in All of Sports

Postby GMJ » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Only the bankrupt owners of the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes are ranked lower than Bruce Ratner in ESPN’s listings of all 122 professional sports teams. The Nets are dead last in “community involvement” and 111th overall. The “stadium experience” at the IZOD comes in 119th. Lawrence Frank ranks 108th in coaching, the players 88th. The only somewhat favorable number: a Nets game ranks 65th in affordability.

Nets Daily

GMJ

Re: Ratner Ranked 2nd Worst Owner in All of Sports

Postby Vuchato » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Frank is not nearly that bad of a coach
Vuchato

Postby NewNetsFan11 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:05 pm

If Lebron and a friend come to town next year that would change I would imagine.
NewNetsFan11

Postby dex » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:14 am

Can't wait to see this rat leaving.
dex

Postby zzkk23 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

The problem with Ratner is that he bought a NJ team to anchor his real estate development in a New York area. He did not account for the opposition from community he is running roughshod over. Remember Brooklyn is New York Knicks/Madison Square Garden/Dolan area of influence.
Would you like somebody stealing your fans in your own backyard?
zzkk23

Postby Netted » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:07 pm

zzkk23 wrote:The problem with Ratner is that he bought a NJ team to anchor his real estate development in a New York area. He did not account for the opposition from community he is running roughshod over. Remember Brooklyn is New York Knicks/Madison Square Garden/Dolan area of influence.
Would you like somebody stealing your fans in your own backyard?

I don't think all the court battles over eminent domain are really just angry Knicks fans protesting the Nets coming to Brooklyn.
Netted

Postby zzkk23 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:56 pm

Exactly! I think those community groups have financial backing for lawyers, etc and I also don't think they just angry Knick fans. They can't muster those kind of money. A few more delays and its done, actually I think it finished. ratner is already looking to sell.
face the truth, speak to Him if you can...
zzkk23

Postby gigantes » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:13 pm

if the ratner group sells, what are the chances of the new owners doing the following:

A) continue brooklyn arena plan somehow
B) stay at izod
C) rent the hockey place next door
D) find a new national suitor
E) other?

also, what are the chances of any new owners following through with their promise not to move the team out of the area? what exactly prevents them from reneging?
gigantes

Postby Netted » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:19 pm

gigantes wrote:if the ratner group sells, what are the chances of the new owners doing the following:

A) continue brooklyn arena plan somehow
B) stay at izod
C) rent the hockey place next door
D) find a new national suitor
E) other?

also, what are the chances of any new owners following through with their promise not to move the team out of the area? what exactly prevents them from reneging?

I think Ratner makes a lease with the new Brooklyn arena a condition of any sale. I think I answered A and why someone won't reneg.
Netted

Postby ly_yng » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:48 pm

If Ratner gets the team to Brooklyn, he'll have done more good for the franchise than anyone not named Boe, Erving or Kidd.
Before responding, read this: http://tinyurl.com/yh9nhzg
ly_yng

Postby gigantes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:32 am

Netted wrote:I think Ratner makes a lease with the new Brooklyn arena a condition of any sale. I think I answered A and why someone won't reneg.

ah, excellent.

do you have a link, or is that a personal hunch?
gigantes

Postby Netted » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:30 am

gigantes wrote:ah, excellent.

do you have a link, or is that a personal hunch?

Years of business experience... so I'd rate it slightly more than a hunch.
Netted

Postby gigantes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:17 am

that makes sense to me. even as a non-business person i can imagine countless little sub-deals and arrangements made that were necessary to drive the main real estate and arena projects. and the ratner group, even as non-nets owners, would still likely have some form of investment in those, no?

not to mention, with so much work already done, the brooklyn deal would be like an underground treasure trove waiting for the next person to come along with the right extraction tools...
gigantes

Postby Netted » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 am

gigantes wrote:that makes sense to me. even as a non-business person i can imagine countless little sub-deals and arrangements made that were necessary to drive the main real estate and arena projects. and the ratner group, even as non-nets owners, would still likely have some form of investment in those, no?

not to mention, with so much work already done, the brooklyn deal would be like an underground treasure trove waiting for the next person to come along with the right extraction tools...

The smart move for Ratner would be to cap all his loses in the team and turn it over to a new owner who will assume all financial responsibilities going forward. Every year they would adjust the ownership % based on the losses the new owner assumed. In the end Ratner would still own a sizable share of the team. His only issue would be a shrinking share as the team continues to be unprofitable, but in the grandscale of team value the losses wouldn't translate to that much ownership. For a new owner they basically get to pay for a share of the team over time with no interest. Give the new owner an option to acquire additional shares at a set price and give Ratner a lease for the Brooklyn arena.

Win win for both parties. The more the new owner puts into players and free agents the more equity he gets in the team and the more valuable Ratner's shares are. The more Ratner puts into the arena the more money both make. With the pending 2010 free agency the timing is perfect for both. At least both are spending in areas that make sense to them and are in line with the business they want to be in.
Netted

Postby gigantes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:23 am

excellent-- thank you!
gigantes

Return to Nets