Re: Without a new Front Office, the Nets will continue to suck

Postby cpawfan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm

ly_yng wrote:Cpaw - thoughts on Pritch?

I'd crawl a mile over broken glass to get him to be the Nets GM
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby danxcr` » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:46 pm

And the Blazers are doing him dirty by trying to get another GM while he is still employed and still under contract, i wonder why Paul Allen dislikes him so much, plus he only makes 895k compared to Thorns 4 million dollar per year contract
danxcr`

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:47 pm

I would love KP personally.

If we could team Thorn and him together as GM and team president...wow!

You have the master of the blockbuster trade and the master of the draft and depth building. What a combo!
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby danxcr` » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Eduardo's Empanada wrote:I would love KP personally.

If we could team Thorn and him together as GM and team president...wow!

You have the master of the blockbuster trade and the master of the draft and depth building. What a combo!

YA KP can build a team through the drat and Thorn can get a superstar via trade. Its a win win! maybe KP can be our Assistant GM since the Russian guy isnt coming over.
danxcr`

Postby MyNetsForLife » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Pritchard is a prideful guy, which is part of the reason he clashed with Vulcan. If he comes here, he's coming as the man.
MyNetsForLife

Postby Netted » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:02 pm

danxcr` wrote:YA KP can build a team through the drat and Thorn can get a superstar via trade. Its a win win! maybe KP can be our Assistant GM since the Russian guy isnt coming over.

Why Assistant... make him the GM. Kiki is long gone.
Netted

Postby Netted » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:03 pm

MyNetsForLife wrote:Pritchard is a prideful guy, which is part of the reason he clashed with Vulcan. If he comes here, he's coming as the man.

Yes, from what I read the issue is with Vulcan, who advises Allen... not Allen himself.
Netted

Postby MyNetsForLife » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Netted wrote:Yes, from what I read the issue is with Vulcan, who advises Allen... not Allen himself.

Yeah. He got annoyed when he was lowballed for an extension, when he wanted to be paid like Nate (which makes perfect sense to me. GMs are far more important than coaches imo)
MyNetsForLife

Postby Netted » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 pm

MyNetsForLife wrote:Yeah. He got annoyed when he was lowballed for an extension, when he wanted to be paid like Nate (which makes perfect sense to me. GMs are far more important than coaches imo)

Pritchard was stupid for making enemies with those guys. When you are dealing with advisors like those guys, and they aren't very experienced in your business, you have to tread lightly and massage them.

Obviously they have the money to pay him, and they don't mind paying a GM well if they are going after West, so he must have done something to tick them off. It has to be a personality issue between them. He's obviously good at his job.
Netted

Postby Lurk182 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:05 am

cpawfan wrote:
Playing Okafor at PF significantly reduces his effectiveness. His defense, which is his best attribute, suffers away from the paint. Then on offense, he would force Lopez out of the paint.

Chris Paul hasn't been the best PG in the NBA for a couple of seasons. He isn't the player he was when he made Scott look like a decent coach. Rather, he is the guy that Dahntay Jones bullied in the 2009 playoffs and who had trouble beating Nene on the pick and roll. Plus, you have the entire issue of how LBJ would play with CP3 since they both need the ball in their hands the majority of the time to be effective.

While TWill can back up all three perimeter positions, the Nets don't have any bigs that can compare to Sideshow Bob or Hickson. Additionally, the Nets don't have shooters like West and Gibson that can come off the bench and make open looks.

All in all, a worse team than what the Cavs just put on the floor in the playoffs.

Whoah!

cpaw, I agree in general with most of what you've been writing. (personally, I think if you draft Wes you slot him in as a 3 and that's it. He should be a solid 3 and a valuable asset for years, somewhere between Jarvis Hayes and Shane Battier, but he's not a superstar or even a star in the making.)

But I think you went off the rails here. Cleveland is a dead end for LBJ, because he is missing 2 of the 3 complementary pieces he needs to win in the playoffs, and there is near-zero chance of Cleveland ever getting them. 1) he needs a teammate who can score in the post or at least inside while supporting a solid interior on the other end. 2) he needs a second star player to whom he can hand the ball for long stretches or even whole games when he is off. The 2010 Cavs had Shaq and Mo Williams (or was it Jamison?) in those roles, and that's why they failed. Having AndyV is a nice piece, and all the other complementary players are great for racking up wins in the regular season, but I see that Cavs team as hopeless as far as the playoffs and the championship are concerned.

What about the Nets, with CP3 (assuming his knee holds up) and Okafor? Well, you now have an interior scorer in Lopez and you now have a beta dog in CP3 (I believe he would accept that role). Okafor can be a defensive stalwart, and he should be able to defend most 4's quite well. Sure, someone like Rashard or other tweener types would give him trouble, but that seems manageable. So allow me to add one more player, say Khryapa or Kleiza, to bolster the front line, and my 7-man (playoff) rotation is ready to go forth and conquer:

CP3
Lee
LBJ
Okafor
Lopez

Twill
Kleiza
Lurk182

Postby cpawfan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 am

I have zero faith in Okafor defending the PF spot. I'd rather have Bosh defending PF's than Okafor. A team has to play defense in the playoffs and to me, a combination of Okafor defending PF's and no one off of the bench even close to the defender Andy is makes this theoretical Nets team no better than the 2010 Playoffs Cavs team.
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby mb4th » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:27 am

say Khryapa or Kleiza

Cool except if we did ever pull off the Paul/Okafor deal then we would have to get a little creative just to sign Lebron. And Kleiza should be asking for about $4 or $5M per year

Still holding out hope we can get creative in dumping Yi. Maybe trade Yi and Okafor for Gilbert Arenas and an unprotected 1st

If Okafor did prove to be a poor fit then you could trade him for another bad deal. I think Okafor and cash for Iggy would make some sense. Okafor, cash, and an asset for Monta Ellis

Or hop into the HTTM and never pick up Yi's option
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Lurk182 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 am

cpaw: fair enough on EO. I think he'd be a great defender at the 4 and as a backup 5. Basically Jason Collins with a ton of athletic ability. But you probably know better than me.

mb4: Hmmm. . . I was thinking that once we got LBJ in the house (and were maxed out) we would have the cap exception available. Is that wrong? Dumping Yi would certainly help.
Lurk182

Postby Netted » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:45 am

Lurk182 wrote:mb4: Hmmm. . . I was thinking that once we got LBJ in the house (and were maxed out) we would have the cap exception available. Is that wrong?

Yes, that's wrong. Teams get the greater of the MLE or cap space. Not both.
Netted

Postby Lurk182 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Netted wrote:Yes, that's wrong. Teams get the greater of the MLE or cap space. Not both.

OK, so now I see the tie in to the thread about shopping Yi around. . . Would Kleiza accept $22MM over 5?
Lurk182

Postby mb4th » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm

After this latest Bulls trade and w/ the Heat and Knicks all clearing room I think Rod really wants to clear some extra room soon.

Like hes going quadrupole or nothing before he calls it quits

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby infamous » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Hes need to get rid of Yi big time, and pray Humphries opts out.
infamous

Postby Netted » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:23 pm

mb4th wrote:After this latest Bulls trade and w/ the Heat and Knicks all clearing room I think Rod really wants to clear some extra room soon.

Like hes going quadrupole or nothing before he calls it quits

Bulls trade official??
Netted

Postby Nets4Life » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Why isn't Yi gone yet? RT is on the sidelines while others are dealing...
Nets4Life

Postby mb4th » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Netted wrote:Bulls trade official??

Cant be official until June 8th

I can see some teams in the Leborn Sweepstakes trying to rooster-block this deal

mb4th

PreviousNext

Return to Nets