Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Gerald Wallace for spare parts + 2012 1st

Nets-related discussion.

Gerald Wallace for spare parts + 2012 1st

Postby MFNetsFan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 pm

While I've always admired how he plays with reckless abandon, giving up our 1st with only top 3 protection for him at his age and injury history is a train wreck.

He'll just be an overpaid player on an unwanted expiring deal next trade deadline.
MFNetsFan

Re: Gerald Wallace for spare parts + 2012 1st

Postby VC Posterized Me » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 pm

MFNetsFan wrote:While I've always admired how he plays with reckless abandon, giving up our 1st with only top 3 protection for him at his age and injury history is a train wreck.

He'll just be an overpaid player on an unwanted expiring deal next trade deadline.

For some reason those are our favorite type of players...
VC Posterized Me

Postby Drew » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm

I find it hard to believe he won't opt out this offseason, so I see no point to giving up a top ten pick for him. Granted I've just had an absolute GO NETS!!! week, but this kinda stinks I think. I don't see how this convinces Deron Williams to stay. I can only see this being (another) reason for him to bolt to Dallas.
Drew

Postby CalamityX04 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 pm

GO NETS!!! UNBELIEVABLE.....

GO NETS!!! YOU KING, GO NETS!!! YOU AND YOUR GO NETS!!! GO NETS!!! GO NETS!!! LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby CalamityX04 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Done nothing but GO NETS!!! killed this franchise and its fanbase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piece of GO NETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm GO NETS!!! mad and GO NETS!!! tired of watching this piece of GO NETS!!! basketball for the last 4 years.....(although you were responsible for 2)

GO NETS!!! you!
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Universe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 pm

I get we cannot bring in the star players and that sucks but why hurt our future on the basis that the "star" we currently have on our team that had no decision on coming to the Nets will stay?

God awful.

"The ones that make it complicated never get congratulated." - Kid Cudi
Universe

Postby ace_o_spades » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Billy King reminds everybody why he got GO NETS!!! canned in Philadelphia

I've always liked Gerald Wallace but man what a bad bad trade.
ace_o_spades

Postby rez » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm speechless.....
rez

Postby Universe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 pm

You hold onto that first round pick at the draft and you could have gotten much better return than Gerald Wallace. At least much younger with higher potential could have been drafted in case no better deal comes up.

I don't get how we did that when can't we try and trade for Dwight Howard in the offseason if his playoffs don't go well?

"The ones that make it complicated never get congratulated." - Kid Cudi
Universe

Postby macgyver893 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

What would we be saying if it was Okur, Williams, and the Houston pick or top 10 Protected this year?
"Remember, losing is the same as winning, only with fewer points."
- Keith Van Horn (From 90s Nike commercial)
macgyver893

Postby canofan42 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Look, I understand why a majority of you don't like this trade at all and are upset, but I'm going to try to look on the bright side here.

Gerald Wallace is a quality player. He's 29 years old, so he still has a few good years left in him. He was an all-star in 2010 and also was All-Defense first team that year. He brings heart and defense to this thing, two things we need. He also fills a hole at the small forward position. If we want to win now, he isn't a bad option at all. When healthy, this is our team:

Deron/Farmar/Gaines
Marshon/Morrow
Wallace/Green/Stevenson
Hump/Shelden Williams
Lopez/Jordan Williams/Petro

When healthy, that's not a bad team at all. Certainly a playoff team, especially in the East. Now assuming Deron stays, if we can get another quality player or two, we can be a pretty solid team. Not to forget, players improve. Give Marshon, Green, etc. a full off-season and training camp to prepare, they're bound to get better.

Just my two cents of optimism.
canofan42

Postby Drew » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:45 am

canofan42 wrote:Look, I understand why a majority of you don't like this trade at all and are upset, but I'm going to try to look on the bright side here.

Gerald Wallace is a quality player. He's 29 years old, so he still has a few good years left in him. He was an all-star in 2010 and also was All-Defense first team that year. He brings heart and defense to this thing, two things we need. He also fills a hole at the small forward position. If we want to win now, he isn't a bad option at all. When healthy, this is our team:

Deron/Farmar/Gaines
Marshon/Morrow
Wallace/Green/Stevenson
Hump/Shelden Williams
Lopez/Jordan Williams/Petro

When healthy, that's not a bad team at all. Certainly a playoff team, especially in the East. Now assuming Deron stays, if we can get another quality player or two, we can be a pretty solid team. Not to forget, players improve. Give Marshon, Green, etc. a full off-season and training camp to prepare, they're bound to get better.

Just my two cents of optimism.

I understand that. But why not just go out and sign him as a free agent then? What does getting him now instead of free agency do for the franchise in the long term or the short term?
Drew

Postby VC Posterized Me » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 am

Drew wrote:
I understand that. But why not just go out and sign him as a free agent then? What does getting him now instead of free agency do for the franchise in the long term or the short term?

He has a $9.5 million player option for next year. Odds are he's taking it. He'd still be signed to a team...

EDIT: Not arguing the merits of the trade....just telling you he isn't a "free agent".
VC Posterized Me

Postby Drew » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:31 pm

VC Posterized Me wrote:
He has a $9.5 million player option for next year. Odds are he's taking it. He'd still be signed to a team...

EDIT: Not arguing the merits of the trade....just telling you he isn't a "free agent".

He would have to exercise his option yes. But after being traded twice in two years and everyone thinking he is an injury risk I would think he tries to get a long term contract now instead of waiting it out. Plus he has no reason to hang with the Nets if they aren't a playoff team and he thinks D-WIll is a goner. He could stay the year and take the option, but it would surprise me if he did.
Drew

Postby Lurk182 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:42 am

Drew,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of contract would you offer GW as a FA?
Lurk182

Postby Lurk182 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 am

Personally, I like Wallace, and I think he's just what this team needs at the 3 as we watch Marshon develop. The salary is high, but at least it's short.

A key to the whole deal that hasn't been mentioned here is that we dumped Shawne's contract. That dumpage surely cost us. This points out BK's mistake in signing Shawne to a longish term deal, and highlights the ongoing tension between trying to win some games now and building for the future.

C'mon lottery balls!
Lurk182

Postby Drew » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 am

Lurk182 wrote:Drew,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of contract would you offer GW as a FA?

Maybe a three year deal? Somewhere around 9 mil per? I just don't think he's going to sign for much less and he's probably going to want more years.
Drew

Postby Lurk182 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Drew:

Yuck. No thanks. If that's what he'll get on the FA market, then I can see why you say he's opting out. And in that case, the trade was almost entirely a salary dump to rid us of the Shawne W contract (and a little bit to try and win some games this year).

My sense, however, is that he won't command anything like that salary. Given his declining production, advancing age, and questionable health, I'd guess he's at most a max exemption guy (say, 4 years 23M). And if he thinks that, I think he doesn't opt out. Then the trade is salary dump + a 1 year rental + a chip at next year's trade deadline.
Lurk182

Postby Drew » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I hope you're right. But look at the other small forward options that could be free agents. Batum. Jeff Green. Budinger. Wilson Chandler. The market dictates a lot of how much money you make. And my guess is Wallace thinks he is much better than those guys meaning A) he opts out, and B) he gets big bucks.
Drew

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 am

You guys are trippin'!

4 years and $23 million?

On what planet?

He'll get minimum 4 years and $32 million, maybe as much as $40, probably right in between, like $35 to $37 million.

This trade was an abomination of epic proportions, we basically just got trolled.
Eduardo's Empanada

Next

Return to Nets