Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Gerald Wallace for spare parts + 2012 1st

Nets-related discussion.

Re: Gerald Wallace for spare parts + 2012 1st

Postby VC Posterized Me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 am

Drew wrote:I hope you're right. But look at the other small forward options that could be free agents. Batum. Jeff Green. Budinger. Wilson Chandler. The market dictates a lot of how much money you make. And my guess is Wallace thinks he is much better than those guys meaning A) he opts out, and B) he gets big bucks.

Those guys are all younger than him......

I doubt anyone is giving him a salary of $9.5 mil next season....
VC Posterized Me

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 am

macgyver893 wrote:What would we be saying if it was Okur, Williams, and the Houston pick or top 10 Protected this year?

THANK GOD!?????????

lol IMHO, prospects 1-17 are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wallace. Wallace is a piece you add for a final piece to a playoff run, not a rebuild or a piece added to a team DEVOIDED of talent thanks to Mr. King.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 am

I wouldn't be this angry if the trade was for Batum....

CalamityX04

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 am

VC Posterized Me wrote:
Those guys are all younger than him......

I doubt anyone is giving him a salary of $9.5 mil next season....

Jeff Green is essentially coming off a heart attack. Wilson Chandler is already off the market. He's better than Budinger and he took over Batum's spot.
Drew

Postby VC Posterized Me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:33 am

Drew wrote:
Jeff Green is essentially coming off a heart attack. Wilson Chandler is already off the market. He's better than Budinger and he took over Batum's spot.

I thought you were using the contracts they received as examples Wallace would get more.....

because I believe Chandler only got $6 mil a season and Green got $9 mil (pre "heart attack) and it was probably only that high because it was a 1 year deal. (Like Humphries would probably command slightly less if he was signed long term as opposed to 1 year although maybe not the more he plays).
VC Posterized Me

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:53 am

Do the simple math, Wilson Chandler just got about $9 million a year, I have zero idea where you're getting the # 6 from.

He got $37 million for 5 years, but that includes this year prorated to about a third of the season, so more or less $34 or $35 million for 4 years.

And who took Batum's spot?

Wallace was the second best small forward on his own team.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:38 pm

I think I would rather have Budinger at a small/cheaper price than Wallace... at least Chase can hit the outside shots consistency and is just as or more athletic than P diddy errr Crash.

CalamityX04

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Listen, I like Wallace, he's solid, but this price and risk was absurd, especially for a guy we likely could have added through free agency or on draft night or even first day of allowable trades in the offseason before free agency starts for much, much, slimmer value.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby VC Posterized Me » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am

Eduardo's Empanada wrote:Do the simple math, Wilson Chandler just got about $9 million a year, I have zero idea where you're getting the # 6 from.

He got $37 million for 5 years, but that includes this year prorated to about a third of the season, so more or less $34 or $35 million for 4 years.

Wallace was the second best small forward on his own team.

Whoops. Read an article that said $30/5years.
VC Posterized Me

Postby Drew » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Eduardo's Empanada wrote:

I was under the impression that Wallace was starting at small forward and Batum was either coming off the bench or starting at the 2. Wallace started every game. Batum has come off the bench twenty five times. Wallace also played more minutes when they were both there.
Drew

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:37 pm

VC Posterized Me wrote:
Whoops. Read an article that said $30/5years.

It's all good, I spazzed.

Was still reeling from the Wallace trade.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby CalamityX04 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Seems fitting to insert here

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/17923783/postups-with-howard-in-orlando-williams-looks-past-nj-to-points-west

The pick is top-three protected, and the Nets' belief is that there were only three players in the draft for whom it would be worth passing on Wallace: Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Kidding me? I know we all have our likes or dislikes for the upcoming prospects or atleast in terms of rankings... but come on, are the NETs FO and Scouts the only idiotic morons in working in the NBA?

CalamityX04

Postby ghoti » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:05 pm

The Nets are so stupid, I don't even feel like analyzing their moves anymore.

I totally give up. Get bent, Nets.
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Drew » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 am

CalamityX04 wrote:Seems fitting to insert here

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/17923783/postups-with-howard-in-orlando-williams-looks-past-nj-to-points-west

Kidding me? I know we all have our likes or dislikes for the upcoming prospects or atleast in terms of rankings... but come on, are the NETs FO and Scouts the only idiotic morons in working in the NBA?

And yet they seem pretty proud of the MarShon Brooks pick. A guy taken with the 25th pick in a weak draft is worth something but a top ten (and that's being nice, it's more likely a top eight) pick in a deep draft they can live without. This is just silly.
Drew

Postby Lurk182 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:17 am

I've come around on this. I think Wallace is likely looking at a moderately big contract (say, 4/34) and has an interesting decision re the option year. And I agree with those who think this trade was terrible. That said, I hope he stays, and I hope we win the lottery (still getting over my disappointment in not wining the MegaMillions last week LOL).

As regards the draft, I don't see anything particularly great after #1. But there are some solid players that would be as valuable as Wallace for sure, given contract considerations. (Color me crazy, but I'm kind of warming to Terrence Jones)
Lurk182

Postby Universe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Could have had:

Tristian Thompson/Kemba Walker/Brandon Knight/Enes Kanter
Derrick Favors
Devin Harris
Harrison Barnes/Andre Drummond/Jeremy Lamb

And we could end up with nothing.

I know we could have the latter still and get a better player but just amazing what we have given up to please a superstar. The best way to get a superstar happy is to draft other superstars like the Spurs have done which is what I thought we might have modeled after but instead have hoped in with the Knicks trying to pay for stars.

"The ones that make it complicated never get congratulated." - Kid Cudi
Universe

Postby thesnowman22 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Wallace is gonna opt out Im willing to bet, this is his last chance for a long term deal I think. He could get 2 concussions next yr and noone ofer him a long term deal.

He probably will not get close to that 9.5 in FA, but we may could resign him for MUCH less if we offer him more years. I am guessing that he would rather have stability.

To keep Deron, you gotta have SOMEBODY else good. You still need one more star, but GW as #3 or #4 will get you an elite team. Also, he has been relatively injury free since he left Charlotte, he certainly could have played more this year if we werent OK with losing.

Of course, Dwight Howard screwed it all up. If he was a FA rite now, how would a line up with him, Deron, Crash and Lopez look? Pretty damn good. Now you gotta wait another year or trade a bunch of pieces.
thesnowman22

Postby PetroNet » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:59 am

macgyver893 wrote:What would we be saying if it was Okur, Williams, and the Houston pick or top 10 Protected this year?

We would be saying how terrible of a deal it is. Because the bottom line is we'd be trading a first round pick to rent a guy for 17 weeks when we could sign him outright as a free agent. Having his bird rights dont mean much, since he isnt a max player. All the reasons people say like the trade are moot:

1) "he is better then anyone we could have gotten at #6"

That doesnt matter, since we could have had him AND the #6 pick. at the very least, that draft pick would have been more valuable on draft night, when teams are trying to position to move up/down to get players they want.

2) "King didnt like anyone outside of the top 3"

Even if this was true (which i doubt it is considering the nets are trying to trade/buy back into the first round), we could have had the #6 pick and still gotten one of the 3 guys King did like. maybe one falls to #6. maybe you package the #6 pick with marshon brooks or morrow or a future pick + 3M. Point is, liking 3 players should never prompt you to move a lottery pick, as there are never a shortage of opportunites to move up and down in the lottery

It just boils down to this... Wallace didnt help us do anything(except maybe have a worse draft pick by winning a few games more then we would have) in those 17 games and we could have signed him in the offseason for nothing. And we would have been one of the better destinations for him, as we are few who can easily offer him the 9-10 million and still have room for other moves.

Worse part of all of this, is that even with giving up the lottery pick, we still didnt shed petro's contract.
PetroNet

Postby thesnowman22 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:29 pm

we can debate the trade all day, but this idea that we could have signed him in FA is assuming a lot.

I can tell u this, you get dw and crash to stay, coupled with lopez, thats a solid start.
thesnowman22

Previous

Return to Nets