Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Expectations for this team.

Nets-related discussion.

Expectations for this team.

Postby canofan42 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Now that these forums are spam-free, let's try to get some discussions going here again.

So for the first time in what seems like forever, this team is good again, and barring something catastrophic, will definitely make the playoffs. The question is, how good can this team be?

Personally, I think this team is constructed brilliantly. We're very balanced and a lot of versatility, which we know was a big focus for Billy King.
The starting lineup, as constructed, is one of the best in league, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the guys mesh together. In order to be successful, I feel like a team needs to have a go-to wing scorer, which we have in Joe Johnson. In addition to that, we have a go-to insider scorer in Brook, a swiss army knife in Gerald Wallace, and a garbage man in Kris Humphries. With these 4 guys, Deron Williams gets to go back to doing what he does best: creating opportunities for his teammates. I'm confident that he'll definitely bounce back from last season and have a great year, and being able to not focus on scoring will be a huge plus for him. Of course, he's very much capable of scoring, moreso than Kidd ever was able to, so having that ability along with the talent surrounding him will be definitely fun to watch.
The bench I think is one of the deepest benches 1-15 in the league. It's amazing that Billy King was able to put this group together for only ~$9 million. This bench has just about every kind of player you could want coming off your bench: we have instant offense players off the bench in Teletovic and Brooks, we have defenders in Taylor, Bogans, and Childress, we have a monster rebounder in Evans, and we have leaders in Watson and Stackhouse. Anything we get out of Blatche is a bonus IMO, and if he can fulfill his potential and get his act together, this team becomes THAT much more dangerous.

The biggest question mark for this team as a whole will be interior defense. It's safe to say that scoring will not be an issue for this team, and we have very capable perimeter defenders in Deron, JJ, and Wallace, as well as Taylor, Bogans, and Childress off the bench. I think it'll be on Avery to mask the defensive deficiencies of our big men, and he's definitely capable of doing it. In the 2005-2006 season with Mavs, his big men consisted of Erick Dampier and DaSagana Diop, and the Mavs were 7th in the league defensively, making the finals. The following year, they won 67 games in the regular season and were 4th in the league defensively. Looking at those teams rosters', it's not like they had great individual defenders, yet they were still able to be a top defending team. Hopefully, Avery will be able to replicate that here.

Overall, I don't see any reason why the Nets can't be the #2 seed in the East and compete with Miami. The x-factors in terms of how far we go will be Brook Lopez getting back to his pre-mono self, and what we get out of Blatche and Childress, as well as how good this team is defensively. If this team can be a top defensive team, the sky's the limit.

Thoughts?
canofan42

Re: Expectations for this team.

Postby idelbi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:16 pm

I love the make up of this team. As you mentioned all we really need is interior defense. At some point during these next two seasons, I expect BK to package Humphries and MarShon for a defensive upgrade at the 4. Outside of the core four, those two have the great value and we have players with similar skill sets in Karaman and Bogdanovic that will hopefully be joining the team soon.

That said, as currently constructed, my expectations for this team are 45 wins and to make it to the second round of the playoffs. Anything more would be overachieving and anything less would be a disappointment.
idelbi

Postby ghoti » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:35 pm

The only thing that worries me is Brook Lopez and his foot.

The Nets are as good as anyone outside of Miami with Brook, but I think he's really the only player there isn't a strong contingency plan for if he goes down. (Outside of the team's only superstar of course. But that's every team.)
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby canofan42 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 pm

ghoti wrote:The only thing that worries me is Brook Lopez and his foot.

The Nets are as good as anyone outside of Miami with Brook, but I think he's really the only player there isn't a strong contingency plan for if he goes down. (Outside of the team's only superstar of course. But that's every team.)

I get the concern about Brook's foot, because he was out for almost all of last season, and because he injured it twice, but IMO, you can't worry about things you can't control. Like you said, this applies to basically any team. What if Dwight Howard's back isn't healthy for the Lakers? (as of right now, it isn't). What if LeBron gets hurt? etc, etc. Injuries happen to all teams, you just hope they aren't serious injuries to key players.
canofan42

Postby Eddymac » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:01 am

On paper the Nets are a playoff team. We have no weaknesses in our starting lineup, we have shooters, slashers, defenders, low post scoring.

We should make the playoffs and depending on the matchup, even win a series.
Eddymac

Postby ghoti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:40 am

Since quoting isn't working right now, I would just like to say that NBA Elite 11 avatar is hilarious.

NetsDaily Forums - inactive since 2010!
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby fanetics » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 am

Even THE FORUM is riding the bandwagon train.
LOl
fanetics

Postby cpawfan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:31 am

Eddymac wrote:On paper the Nets are a playoff team. We have no weaknesses in our starting lineup, we have shooters, slashers, defenders, low post scoring.

We should make the playoffs and depending on the matchup, even win a series.

I can't reconcile the concept that someone believes there are no weaknesses in a starting lineup that includes the Hump.
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby ghoti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:23 am

cpawfan wrote:
I can't reconcile the concept that someone believes there are no weaknesses in a starting lineup that includes the Hump.

I'm not too concerned with the Hump being the starting PF.

I'm much more worried about him being the backup center!
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Drew » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43 am

I find it hard to think that Gerald Wallace won't miss at least fifteen games or so. Brook is coming off of surgery. And yet both of their backups are the weakest ones we have on the roster. Hump may not be great but at least they have some depth there with Teletovic and Evans.
Drew

Postby ghoti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am

I think there's enough depth at SF to get by. A lot of players could play there in a pinch and there is a ton of guard depth. Don't discount Toko, either. I don't think they would have signed him if they didn't think he could help.

Lopez and Hump on the court at the same time is not so hot. I think Hump will get a lot of minutes at C and Teletovic and Evans will be in the regular rotation up front.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby ghoti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 am

Also, I can see Wallace playing PF at times. If you want Brooks on the court at the end of the game, Wallace has to play there. I think there are times that will happen.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Drew » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am

I'm starting to think I'm the only person that doesn't expect anything from Toko this year.
Drew

Postby ghoti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Why not? He might average 5 and 2, but he should play and have his own little impact. Defense and toughness is not the Nets' strong suit so I'd say he has a role to play.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby fanetics » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm

It's hard for me to admit, but the Nets' season really depends on Brook's health.
But having said that, I know a lot people likes Hump, but he's not the ideal fit with the core four. He might be the best we can have right now, but definitely that position can be improved.
I'm predicting Hump will be the first one to be substituted, and won't be spending a lot of time together with the core four.
fanetics

Postby canofan42 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm

ghoti wrote:
I'm not too concerned with the Hump being the starting PF.

I'm much more worried about him being the backup center!

I don't see Hump as much of a concern either, and if Teletovic outplays him, then he'll end up starting. I understand Hump may not be the ideal starting PF, but for this starting lineup, having him as a garbage man player, grabbing rebounds, getting putback points, hustling, etc. isn't too bad. It's a GO NETS!!! of a lot better than having him as our go-to offensive player...

In terms of the backup center, hopefully Blatche can get his act together and perform up to his capabilities and be that backup center for us, though I certainly don't think he is (nor should he be) depended on by the Nets in any capacity.
canofan42

Postby cpawfan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:10 pm

There is still the fundamental problem that Hump operates most effectively where Lopez should be.
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby grandmazter3 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:14 pm

fanetics wrote:It's hard for me to admit, but the Nets' season really depends on Brook's health.
But having said that, I know a lot people likes Hump, but he's not the ideal fit with the core four. He might be the best we can have right now, but definitely that position can be improved.
I'm predicting Hump will be the first one to be substituted, and won't be spending a lot of time together with the core four.

If you mean Brook Lopez, then this.

Even with Joe Johnson, Ammo and Tele (which we still don't know what to expect) the team will go as far as Brook Lopez will take them. Very few centers in the NBA could stop him from scoring, and even fewer have actual post moves like he does.

As for the Hump, I love it that he's back. A little overrated and the celebrity thing worries me a bit, but he can rebound like a maniac and every team needs an uber-athletic PF on the roster.
Community is the new Scrubs, watch it people.
grandmazter3

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am

Toko will be awesome... if not this year, then next... I like what've i've seen and read about him thus far.

I hope Avery gives him a shot.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm

If reasonably healthy and by that I mean no major injuries and no one missing more then 15 games and no rash of injuries where Hump and JJ are the only starters playing for a stretch of 14 games, I would be extremely disappointed with anything lower then the 5 seed and anything short of the 2nd round.

I'm expecting 50+ wins and a team with upside to take the 2 seed, able to compete with anyone in conference outside of Miami, although Boston would probably still be the team I would call 2nd most dangerous in the playoffs, not us.

This team is built for a ton of regular season wins and solid playoff success.

Still not a contender at all though, so as is, dreams of this team competing with Miami are of the pipe variety, clogged nature.
Eduardo's Empanada

Next

Return to Nets