Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Targeting our ~27th and 31st picks

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Targeting our ~27th and 31st picks

Postby Newark2Brooklyn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:18 am

Although we could still get a pick as high as #22, it looks like we're most likely going to stay in the 27th slot. There are a few late first rounders I think are pretty interesting.

Since he's declared, Daniel Orton could be a good value pick to help shore up our front line. I also like Gani Lawal for this. I think one really intriguing pick could be Willie Warren. His stock has absolutely plummeted, and the guy proved he can't do it as an alpha dog, but that's not what we'd need from him; he excelled next to a big guy like Blake Griffin and I think a change of scenery could bring back what was there his freshman year. He's still got a ton of game.

Other guys could be Brackins, Paul George... With our 31st pick I wouldn't be surprised if we take one of the top Euro prospects and stash him since there's no salary scale on second-rounders. If there are any contract holdups with Jan Vesely that could end up happening, although I have no idea.
My opinions are valid.

I also write for these websites.
http://www.netsarescorching.com
pickscroll.blogspot.com
Newark2Brooklyn

Re: Targeting our ~27th and 31st picks

Postby mb4th » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 am

I think trading up to 16-18 or so should be no problem w/ Prokhorovs money. Larry Sanders is intriguing as a big off the bench

I like Daniel Orton as well, lots of potential there to be a real bruiser.

I was kind of wanting a vet big, but if we cant get one I like those two.

Is Ekpe Udoh too much to ask in these trade ups?
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby GMJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:38 am

I'm still holding out hope that we can land Trevor Booker with one of those. He was a good scorer in college, although I can't say I saw him develop any advanced post game. He does like to dunk on people though. I think Jason Maxiell is a pretty good ceiling for him.
GMJ

Postby dex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 am

I want a combo forward, and Luke Babbitt and Kyle Singler are the players I like most. A defensive big man like Varnado for our 2nd rounder would be great, if we don't nab a big with the Mavs pick. I doubt Orton falls to us. I don't think OKC will pass up on him.

I'd try to trade both picks and Yi to Houston for Jeffries and their lotto pick, which could land us Patterson or Udoh.
dex

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 am

mb4th wrote:I think trading up to 16-18 or so should be no problem w/ Prokhorovs money. Larry Sanders is intriguing as a big off the bench

I like Daniel Orton as well, lots of potential there to be a real bruiser.

I was kind of wanting a vet big, but if we cant get one I like those two.

Is Ekpe Udoh too much to ask in these trade ups?

Udoh is currently my target pick in the late first round if we don't trade up.

If we do trade up, Xavier Henry is someone i would want.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby BadKiki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 am

Am I the only one who thinks it makes less than no sense to keep both these picks?

All of the team's presumed core players lacked maturity and professionalism at times this year. They all need to become either better players, more professional players, or both. The coaching staff -- assuming we have some to hire a coaching staff and someone else to pay them -- has to focus on developing those guys (and the top-4 pick, of course). Bringing in two other rookies who aren't likely to make a substantial impact will only detract from that.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Nets combine these two picks with CDR (or Yi) and move into the mid-teens. That way you trade three players you have to worry about for one marginally more talented player you have to worry about. After this year, it's worth it. Miami has two picks in the middle of the first round. They also have 12 roster spots to fill. They might be willing to trade down with one of those picks in order to fill three of those spots with three young players essentially making minimum contracts.
Whoop-De-Damn-Do: The Divine Nets Tragedy -- Latest: Labelling T-Will
BadKiki

Postby Newark2Brooklyn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:43 am

BadKiki wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it makes less than no sense to keep both these picks?

All of the team's presumed core players lacked maturity and professionalism at times this year. They all need to become either better players, more professional players, or both. The coaching staff -- assuming we have some to hire a coaching staff and someone else to pay them -- has to focus on developing those guys (and the top-4 pick, of course). Bringing in two other rookies who aren't likely to make a substantial impact will only detract from that.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Nets combine these two picks with CDR (or Yi) and move into the mid-teens. That way you trade three players you have to worry about for one marginally more talented player you have to worry about. After this year, it's worth it. Miami has two picks in the middle of the first round. They also have 12 roster spots to fill. They might be willing to trade down with one of those picks in order to fill three of those spots with three young players essentially making minimum contracts.

It depends on what we use the 31st pick for. Because there are no salary restrictions in the 2nd round it might make sense to take a top Euro prospect and stash him for a few years, much like Minny is doing with Pekovic right now. I'm not sure if there are any guys worth taking, though - DX has us getting a guy named Miroslav Raduljica, who could be a future stud for all I know.
My opinions are valid.

pickscroll.blogspot.com
Newark2Brooklyn

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am

BadKiki wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it makes less than no sense to keep both these picks?

We still have spots to fill up though, with battie, simmons, dooling :cry: , quinn and most likely Hump departing(these are the guys i'm aware of), we have quite the holes to fill, so it's not like we have the guys to take up spots.

Besides it's a deep promising draft. Teams in the playoffs will get a good player in the draft despite their winning season. But needless to say, if there's a package out there that we can make in order to get a GOOD player, someone with an actual influence in the game, then yea make the move.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby BadKiki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 am

Calamity: I realize that...but I think we can fill those spots with players that the coaching staff won't have to worry all that much about. Granted, those players aren't likely to carry any upside, but they won't act to the detriment of the players we have significant investments in. In fact, it's possible they can accelerate the learning curve of those players.

N2B: That is an option I'd be more amenable to, although I'm not sure whether this year's International crop has much to offer. I'd still rather take my chances with an Xavier Henry or Patrick Patterson should those guys slip into the teens.

***The ultimate point: With the emergence of T-Will and Courtney Lee in the second half, a top four pick and maybe a free agent pick-up, the Nets should enter 2010 having answered the question of talent. The next step is getting the most out of that talent. Expending energy on fringe role players essentially amounts to a waste of coaching and leadership resources.
BadKiki

Postby dex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:19 pm

CalamityX04 wrote:We still have spots to fill up though, with battie, simmons, dooling :cry: , quinn and most likely Hump departing(these are the guys i'm aware of), we have quite the holes to fill, so it's not like we have the guys to take up spots.

Besides it's a deep promising draft. Teams in the playoffs will get a good player in the draft despite their winning season. But needless to say, if there's a package out there that we can make in order to get a GOOD player, someone with an actual influence in the game, then yea make the move.

Agreed. Half the roster won't be brought back. We'll need to fill those last roster spots, and the kids we could take with our 2 later picks would be nice additions (even if they don't get too much PT next season), especially since they'll be making so little money.
dex

Postby Nets4Life » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:09 pm

BadKiki wrote:Calamity: I realize that...but I think we can fill those spots with players that the coaching staff won't have to worry all that much about. Granted, those players aren't likely to carry any upside, but they won't act to the detriment of the players we have significant investments in. In fact, it's possible they can accelerate the learning curve of those players.

N2B: That is an option I'd be more amenable to, although I'm not sure whether this year's International crop has much to offer. I'd still rather take my chances with an Xavier Henry or Patrick Patterson should those guys slip into the teens.

***The ultimate point: With the emergence of T-Will and Courtney Lee in the second half, a top four pick and maybe a free agent pick-up, the Nets should enter 2010 having answered the question of talent. The next step is getting the most out of that talent. Expending energy on fringe role players essentially amounts to a waste of coaching and leadership resources.

I think there is always room for talent (whether they are 19 and unpolished/developing or 23 and emerging). Just ask the Thunder and Blazers. I say the more draft picks the better----unless there is a player that really really shines in workouts, this draft is looking pretty deep and a mid teens player may be turn out to be just as good or worse than 31.
Nets4Life

Postby BadKiki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:04 pm

I agree with you guys to an extent. Stock-piling talent is never a bad thing, especially if that talent is very young and very cheap. But there is a major difference between the Nets and the Trailblazers and Thunder.

Portland and Oklahoma City were building, essentially, from scratch. They didn't have any significant pieces in place when they laid the foundation with those young players. They then filled the foundation with these four guys: Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge for Portland, Kevin Durant and Jeff Green for OKC. All four of those players conduct themselves in a professional manner, and have since they entered the league. Those are guys you can trust to lead you, one way or another. Just in case, they were surrounded with veterans like Steve Blake, Nick Collison and Earl Watson.

The Nets, in contrast, will be coming off one of the most toxic seasons in history. Unlike Portland, and to a lesser extent Seattle, the Nets' radioactive players are the ones they are building around. They need to bring in guys with hazmat suits and power-washers.
BadKiki

Postby Nets4Life » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm

I really think this year could be a very very deep draft. The potential for a lockout is going to push several players to declare who would otherwise spend an extra year developing in college.
Nets4Life

Postby Vuchato » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Nets4Life wrote:I really think this year could be a very very deep draft. The potential for a lockout is going to push several players to declare who would otherwise spend an extra year developing in college.

Seriously, with how many players are declaring they could probably add a third round.
Vuchato

Postby Newark2Brooklyn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 pm

BadKiki wrote:N2B: That is an option I'd be more amenable to, although I'm not sure whether this year's International crop has much to offer. I'd still rather take my chances with an Xavier Henry or Patrick Patterson should those guys slip into the teens.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind moving up. There doesn't seem to be a guy like Nikola Pekovic worth keeping that #31 pick for unless Vesely or Motiejunas have some unresolved contract issue no one knows about. I wouldn't mind dealing up a bit to pick up a guy like Patterson or Hassan Whiteside. It would be interesting to do some 2K10 wheeling and dealing and end up with 2 top 4 picks, but obviously the chances of that happening are <1% and who knows how that would affect the team..

Hopefully you're right on that point, too.
My opinions are valid.

pickscroll.blogspot.com
Newark2Brooklyn

Postby cpawfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:06 pm

I see no reason to move up in this draft. There isn't a lot of difference between the late lottery and pick 35. Every player in that range will have issues to work through. To me, the key is to find the players with specific strengths a team wants for their roster.

In the Nets case, I believe they should be looking for players for the non-rotation roster spots. Guys that do at least one thing really well and that don't have attitude issues.
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby Vuchato » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 pm

A guy I like is Avery Bradley. Not much of a point guard at all, but is too short to spend much time at shooting guard, but he is a great defender and a good shooter as well. Only a freshman too, so he's pretty young as well. Could be a guy that would be useful in some situations off the bench, and would probably be a pretty nice fit playing alongside T-Will.
Vuchato

Postby demens » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Why would we be looking to draft any perimeter player that isn't a SF? We dont have enough playing time for the ones we have.
demens

Postby Vuchato » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:48 pm

demens wrote:Why would we be looking to draft any perimeter player that isn't a SF? We dont have enough playing time for the ones we have.

we have Harris, Lee, and CDR right now. plenty of room for another. Unless you want us to draft a SF, PF, and C with our 3 picks? Totally not Thorn's style.
Vuchato

Postby demens » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Vuchato wrote:
we have Harris, Lee, and CDR right now. plenty of room for another. Unless you want us to draft a SF, PF, and C with our 3 picks? Totally not Thorn's style.

I'm couting Wall/Turner + Twitt too. Not much room left at the PG/SG positions with those 5. The other 2 picks should be a sf and a big man.
demens

Next

Return to NBA Draft