Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Targeting our ~27th and 31st picks

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Re: Targeting our ~27th and 31st picks

Postby Vuchato » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 pm

demens wrote:I'm couting Wall/Turner + Twitt too. Not much room left at the PG/SG positions with those 5. The other 2 picks should be a sf and a big man.

I consider Terrence more of a SF, who could play SG depending on our personnel. As for Wall/Turner, we probably won't go with a guard if we get Wall, and maybe not Turner, depending on what else the team has in store, but considering its a coin flip if we actually get one of those guys, its worth talking about guards in case we don't.
Vuchato

Postby dex » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Kerber says some think the Nets like Armon Johnson at 27.
dex

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:37 pm

I like Armon Johnson. Kid has a ton of skill, he's ultra athletic and measured out very well.
He has some flaws though for sure.
I have a feeling he's gone by 27 though, think he might wind up in Portland at 22.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby fly75 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:53 pm

BadKiki wrote:The Nets, in contrast, will be coming off one of the most toxic seasons in history. Unlike Portland, and to a lesser extent Seattle, the Nets' radioactive players are the ones they are building around. They need to bring in guys with hazmat suits and power-washers.

Portland and Seattle may not have been 12 win teams, but they were bad enough to land high lottery picks in consecutive seasons.

Nets figure to turn over 1/2 the roster this summer- Lopez, Harris, TWilliams, CLee, Yi, Humphries (assuming he opts in), and maybe CDR (Nets choice) are likely to be the only holdovers. No commitment to Yi, Humphries, or CDR after next season. That's a pretty thorough cleansing.

So which of Lopez, Harris, TWill and CLee do you consider either radioactive or building blocks? Lopez is a building block, even if he's not a franchise player. Lee is at least rotation 2, and may prove to be servicable as a 4th option on offense. TWill has lots to prove, and didn't get it until the last 2 months of the past season- too early to tell what he may or may not become. Guess that leaves Harris as your guy, and I'd argue the Nets aren't building around him.
fly75

Postby Vuchato » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 am

dex wrote:Kerber says some think the Nets like Armon Johnson at 27.

yay another shooter
Vuchato

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Vuchato wrote:yay another shooter

Ha, Armon Johnson is a scoring point guard whose biggest weakness is long range shooting. :?
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby dex » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Speaking of shooting... From Chad Ford's mock draft v5.0:
The Nets were high on Terrico White earlier in the year, but appear to be gravitating toward either Crawford or Dominique Jones at No. 27. Both players are lights-out scorers and can handle the ball. What gives Crawford the slight edge is his shooting ability. He's got deep, deep range.
dex

Postby BadKiki » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:32 pm

fly75 wrote:Portland and Seattle may not have been 12 win teams, but they were bad enough to land high lottery picks in consecutive seasons.

Nets figure to turn over 1/2 the roster this summer- Lopez, Harris, TWilliams, CLee, Yi, Humphries (assuming he opts in), and maybe CDR (Nets choice) are likely to be the only holdovers. No commitment to Yi, Humphries, or CDR after next season. That's a pretty thorough cleansing.

So which of Lopez, Harris, TWill and CLee do you consider either radioactive or building blocks? Lopez is a building block, even if he's not a franchise player. Lee is at least rotation 2, and may prove to be servicable as a 4th option on offense. TWill has lots to prove, and didn't get it until the last 2 months of the past season- too early to tell what he may or may not become. Guess that leaves Harris as your guy, and I'd argue the Nets aren't building around him.

What part, exactly, of yesterday's press conference leads you to believe that?
Whoop-De-Damn-Do: The Divine Nets Tragedy -- Latest: Labelling T-Will
BadKiki

Postby dex » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:08 pm

According to Kerber, the Nets like Bledsoe, Jones, Lawal and Johnson at 27.
dex

Postby Vuchato » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:28 pm

I hope Ford's right about Crawford, I like the rest of the list Kerber had too. Not so high on Johnson (yes KC I know he's a terrible shooter) but the rest looks good, much better than the Tiny Gallon and Craig Brackins list we got earlier.
Vuchato

Postby Newark2Brooklyn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:58 pm

I think we'd all like Bledsoe, but I doubt he drops to 27. If he's there, barring something completely unexpected (like someone else plummeting) I'd be a fan of selecting him for sure.
My opinions are valid.

I also write for these websites.
http://www.netsarescorching.com
pickscroll.blogspot.com
Newark2Brooklyn

Postby fly75 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 pm

BadKiki wrote:

What part, exactly, of yesterday's press conference leads you to believe that?

Same thing that led Kerber to write this in the Post after the press conference
Harris was ecstatic, although he and Nets president Rod Thorn admitted Johnson's presence doesn't guarantee the point guard remains.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/netsblog/avery_harris_bonded_for_nets_c7DqoJe2Ax0zedRiTNe4nN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=
fly75

Postby ghoti » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Vuchato wrote:I hope Ford's right about Crawford, I like the rest of the list Kerber had too. Not so high on Johnson (yes KC I know he's a terrible shooter) but the rest looks good, much better than the Tiny Gallon and Craig Brackins list we got earlier.

Bledsoe would be a huge steal at #27, but I doubt he'll be there.

I like Brackins more for the Nets than anyone else mentioned.
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby BadKiki » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:05 pm

fly75 wrote:Same thing that led Kerber to write this in the Post after the press conference

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/netsblog/avery_harris_bonded_for_nets_c7DqoJe2Ax0zedRiTNe4nN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

When has Rod Thorn guaranteed anything? Kerber's next line even said as much, "never say never."

Regardless, the team's attitude was what it was last season. Certain individuals spoke out in a highly publicized fashion (Terrence, CDR), others were less vocal but equally demonstrative (Harris). From everything we know about Avery, he's going to decontaminate and sterilize the team. That's exactly what I said needed to happen.

I still don't think the Nets should bring in a couple more young guys with questionable character. You want to contain the radioactive spill, so to speak, not allow it to spread. Capable veterans who play the game the right way would assist in the development of the young guys we already have. Consider the core:

Devin (27)
Brook (22)
Terrence (22)
Courtney (24)
#3 pick (Anywhere from 19-23)

And also:

CDR (23)
Yi (22...ish)
Hump (25)

Of those guys, only Devin has been productive member of a winning team in the NBA. This team is going to be young enough. I don't see how adding some veteran players to set a positive example is a bad thing.
BadKiki

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Vuchato wrote:I hope Ford's right about Crawford, I like the rest of the list Kerber had too. Not so high on Johnson (yes KC I know he's a terrible shooter) but the rest looks good, much better than the Tiny Gallon and Craig Brackins list we got earlier.

Don't know if you were being sarcastic in your first post, but it's hard to notice if you were! :P

I do like Brackins, like ghoti, not high on Armon Johnson or Tiny Gallon. Would love Crawford.
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby BadKiki » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm

ghoti wrote:
Bledsoe would be a huge steal at #27, but I doubt he'll be there.

I like Brackins more for the Nets than anyone else mentioned.

Yeah? Brackins? Care to elaborate? I've seen his scouting reports, but haven't seen him play much.

No complaints from me if we get Crawford, other than we weren't able to trade up for Henry or George.
BadKiki

Postby ghoti » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Brackins was the star player on his team and opponents only had to stop him to win. That did not help his percentages, but his production was excellent.

His best feature is his beautiful stroke that he repeats perfectly every time. At the combine, his stroke made the other bigs all look like drunk octopi in comparison. He has a natural fade on his shot (like Dirk) and that combined with his legit height and length means his shot is unguardable. He can make contested shots as well or better than anyone in the draft. He's the bench guy who keeps draining shots over your team's good defense and you just keep cursing at him and going "Awwwww, C"MON, MAN!!!"

His package of shooting range, rebounding, passing and great size is very appealing. He can play meaningful minutes right away. If I had to make a comparison I'd say he's a bit like Channing Frye, a little stronger and a better defender and rebounder, but less consistent from long range right now.

He's the kind of player everyone else drafts and benefits from, but the Nets never do. He can play and be productive right away.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:04 am

I am not a big fan of Bledsoe, but he represents great value at 27.
I would rather have Armon Johnson over Bledsoe.
I don't like Crawford.
Hate the idea of Lawal.
Not big on Dominique Jones.
A guy I would love if he fell is Elliot Williams, but I think he goes higher.
I'm not opposed to Mikhail Torrance at 27 at all either.
I could live with Brackins for sure at that late a pick, but I think he did get exposed big time this year and the description I read of him above is wildly optimistic and a tad ambitious to say the least.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby ghoti » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 am

I don't agree that Brackins got exposed. He just isn't a lottery pick and couldn't carry a major conference team by himself. I'm just talking about getting a real contributor at #27 who does things the Nets don't get from their current roster.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:00 am

ghoti wrote:I don't agree that Brackins got exposed. He just isn't a lottery pick and couldn't carry a major conference team by himself. I'm just talking about getting a real contributor at #27 who does things the Nets don't get from their current roster.

I hear you.
I wouldn't hate him with the 27th at all.
I would take him over the likes of Crawford that's for sure.
I thought I wrote don't in that sentence in the last post, lol. Going to edit it now.
Would probably take him over Jones as well, certainly over Lawal and likely any big that is still available at that point, including Varnado, especially if we wind up with Favors.
Eduardo's Empanada

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Draft