Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Draft Strategy: Cousins or Favors . . . then what?

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Draft Strategy: Cousins or Favors . . . then what?

Postby Dumpy » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 am

Most Nets fans and beat writers are focused on who the Nets are most likely to select at #3 . . . and rightfully so. Cousins or Favors? Realistically, though, the decision will likely be made based on factors that we are not privy to: How they do in workouts, how they handle themselves in interviews, etc. And who the Nets think will be most effective playing alongside Brooksie. Regardless of who the nets select, we can be reasonably sure at this point that it will be one of them.

The question I am posing is: Given the fact that (we are assuming) the Nets will select either Favors or Cousins, who should they be targeting with their latter two picks?

I'm of the view that a team should not draft two players the same year that play the same position. If you force two young players to compete with each other for playing time, I believe that it will hinder their development, and history has proven this to be correct; there have been a few situations in recent years where a team has drafted two players in the first round that play the same position and neither have worked out (I think New Orleans did it one year with Hilton Armstrong and Cedric Simmons, for example). For the same reason, I think that, if you can avoid it, you don't want to draft a player that plays the same position as someone you drafted in the first round the previous year.

It seems like Rod Thorn agrees with this, because he's never drafted two players the same year at the same position, and the only time I can think of that he has drafted a player at the same position in consecutive years involved Sean Williams, who arguably never really had a position (Boone--Williams--Ryan Anderson in consecutive years).

Again, I think this is the right approach. You can yell all you want about how they should "take the best available player regardless of position," but realistically, after you get past the first five or (in some years) eight or ten picks, there is no consensus "best" player, and so the distinction is meaningless.

So, with that in mind, we can say that the Nets probably shouldn't look at a PF or a SF (Terrence Williams) with their two latter picks. What about a backup center? Maybe . . . it depends if the Nets select Cousins and if they view him as a PF/C or just a straight PF, I guess. They drafted both a PF and a center the same year a few years ago with Anderson and Lopez, so it isn't unprecedented. Still, if I had to guess, I'd predict that we're looking at two guards here. . . . and given that there is only one PG on the roster right now (who may be traded), one of them will probably fill the backup PG role.

So, anyway, here are some possibilities, based on the popular mocks:

Eric Bledsoe
Avery Bradley
Jordan Crawford
Armon Johnson
Dominique Jones
Lance Stephenson
Greivis Vazquez
Elliott Williams
Terrico White
Willie Warren

I wouldn't be surprised if one if not two players from this list will be Nets. They'll be looking for players that can shoot, and, among PGs, players that have court vision and can pass.

Feel free to discuss them here . . .
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. --Albert Einstein
Dumpy

Re: Draft Strategy: Cousins or Favors . . . then what?

Postby CalamityX04 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:58 am

I would target the best shooter with the mavs pick area and then hopefully a 6'11 and up backup C in the 2nd.

If someone like Alabai is around the mavs pick, then i would pull the trigger there and go for a shooter in the 2nd which would most likely be someone who can also handle the point.

**Edit**
There's a prospect by the name of Ryan Richards, young kid, 19, from England who got me interested... look out for him.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Vuchato » Fri May 21, 2010 12:26 pm

I really think we grab a combo guard at one of the spots. mainly because I expect us to take a guard, and most of them at that point are too short to be real shooting guards, but lack the point guard abilities. Terrence really helps to be able to get a guy like that on the court. Avery Bradley and Willie Warren are two guys I really like, though they seem almost like complete opposites. Bradley is a strong defender and good shooter, Warren is an all around scorer, who had low percentages last year. I'd love Bledsoe as well, but I still think he works his way to the top half of the first round. Elliot Williams and Jordan Crawford are a couple other guys I like.

For the other spot, I really don't know what we'll do. If we go with a backup center I wouldn't be surprised, but that would give us Lopez, Yi, Humphries, #3, and one of the later picks at those two spots, along with any possible free agents we sign. I think Thorn may not have much confidence in either Yi or Hump, but I think he still has hope for them working out. I wouldn't be surprised if we completely disregarded the rule and went with a combo forward despite Terrence and #3, considering all the problems we had there and the complete lack of depth we have. Hayward, Robinson, George, and Ebanks are guys I think we could look at there.
Vuchato

Postby mb4th » Fri May 21, 2010 1:12 pm

I wasnt impressed w/ Lance Stephensons all around game. If his shots not dropping will he just become useless and mentally check out?

I really want Luke Babbit. That kind of shooting is so needed and TWill/Lopez are going to need someone to kick it out to.

In all seriousness he does have a Ryan Anderson game. Long range and rebounding w/ so-so defense
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Wall2Lopez » Fri May 21, 2010 4:45 pm

im praying for eric bledsoe for the mavs pick i love this kid and he would be an amazing backup PG and if we do get him forget about john wall

with derrick favors and eric bledsoe= A+draft
Wall2Lopez

Postby cpawfan » Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm

mb4th wrote:I wasnt impressed w/ Lance Stephensons all around game. If his shots not dropping will he just become useless and mentally check out?

I really want Luke Babbit. That kind of shooting is so needed and TWill/Lopez are going to need someone to kick it out to.

In all seriousness he does have a Ryan Anderson game. Long range and rebounding w/ so-so defense

Lance was poorly coached in college and completely misused by Cronin.
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby Claud » Fri May 21, 2010 6:06 pm

I would say we should target a back-up PG who can distribute the ball but also be a good 3pt shooter. The other need is back-up Center, maybe Varnado?
8 > 3
DH12 OR BUST!
Claud

Postby cpawfan » Fri May 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Claud wrote:I would say we should target a back-up PG who can distribute the ball but also be a good 3pt shooter. The other need is back-up Center, maybe Varnado?

Other than Wall, this is a pretty poor PG draft. Bledsoe didn't even demonstrate that he could run a college team. Shooting is a huge need for the Nets
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby Netted » Fri May 21, 2010 6:16 pm

cpawfan wrote:Shooting is a huge need for the Nets

Huge might be an understatement.
Netted

Postby Claud » Fri May 21, 2010 6:23 pm

So who are the best shooters of this draft? are there any?

Edit: How realistic is Xavier Henry with our 27th pick and Varnado with our 31st?
8 > 3
DH12 OR BUST!
Claud

Postby Vuchato » Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Henry should be in the first half of the first, I'm not sure he's that good, I just know that there are very few good wings in the draft. Wouldn't mind seeing Proky throw some money around to try to grab him, though, he seems like he'd be a good fit on our team. Varnado probably will be around for our second pick. Decent prospect, but seems like Favors without the upside, I think we'd look for a different type of player there.
Vuchato

Postby Claud » Fri May 21, 2010 6:44 pm

I just threw Varnado out there because we are in desperate need of a solid Back to Brook.
8 > 3
DH12 OR BUST!
Claud

Who's worth moving up/ buyin a pick for in the Draft?

Postby NJQuestCat » Sat May 22, 2010 2:54 am

I was thinkin maybe buyin the 24th pick from the Hawks to grab a backup point in Eric Bledsoe. DraftExpress has him going 25 but I doubt he'll be there by that point. He was very impressive for Kentucky, showed nice passing/court vision and was crafty around the basket. He reminded me a little of Ty Lawson. Strong kid. I expect his stock to rise tremendously. He'll be a steal the likes of Darren Collison. Hard working, humble, and accountable.

I was also wondering if you guys think there's any players worth trading our latter two picks for?

I'm not sure moving up to get a pick would be the greatest of ideas because I think we'll get two quality picks with 27 and 31. Lawal and Warren would be great pickups for us. I think they'd both be quality role players.
NJQuestCat

Postby gigantes » Mon May 24, 2010 1:10 am

sorry... haven't followed the site lately, nor have i fully savored the latest dumpy-the-prescient-orangutan post, which as usual, is probably my loss.

anyway--

granted that i know crap about demarcus cousins, but after reading this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/05/21/cousins.update/index.html

...a warning light has begun flashing in my central cortex. maybe even several.

i.e., cousins just might, possibly be that immature kind of highly-gifted player who's gotten hooked on hearing how god-like he is at every stop of his winding road to the NBA. i.e., the guy who crashes and burns with his first team, pouts like a primma donna, forces a trade or a release, then goes through this cycle a few more times with other teams until he eventually realises that the problem is sort-of, kind-of, somehow related to himself in some sort of mysterious, inexplicable way. causing him to reluctantly begin applying himself at the professional level, creating a chain of quite random coincidences that lead to him becoming a good, or even very good, NBA player. maybe even a star.

the problem is, this situation rarely if ever benefits the drafting team very much (if at all). not to mention, it wastes years of the team's time and energy and creates untold headaches for management.

therefore -- and i wish that more people would agree with this concept, dammit -- sometimes it's categorically useless for a team to draft a player, no matter how big of a star he may one day become. with some future team.

but bringing this back full circle, let me again i say that i know crap about mister cousins and mister favors. in addition to one article by mister francis hughes, esquire, of course!
gigantes

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:11 am

I was also wondering if you guys think there's any players worth trading our latter two picks for?

Obviously it depends how high we can go with those picks in a trade, but Xavier Henry is someone i would luv to trade up for....
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Dumpy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 am

gigantes wrote:sorry... haven't followed the site lately, nor have i fully savored the latest dumpy-the-prescient-orangutan post, which as usual, is probably my loss.

lol--I took that picture! I think it was at Monkey Jungle, near Miami, about ten years ago. He was making faces at me.

therefore -- and i wish that more people would agree with this concept, dammit -- sometimes it's categorically useless for a team to draft a player, no matter how big of a star he may one day become. with some future team.

That's what Rod Thorn believes--but it goes beyond attitude. As we've discussed, The Nets have NEVER drafted a high school freshman, nor did they ever draft a HS player when they had a chance. I think Rod DESPISES the thought of paying some kid to learn the fundamentals, and then, just when he is starting to "get it," you risk losing him as a free agent and watch him play well for some other team. Why should an NBA team pay some kid millions of dollars to teach him to play? He should already know how to play!

And that is why I think he is having fits right now. He really wants Evan Turner. If Turner is gone, can he really justify drafting Wes Johnson? Or does he do what he did nearly ten years ago: Draft some erratic kid and then trade down? [As I understand it, the Nets drafted Griffin BEFORE there was a deal in place to trade him to Houston]
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. --Albert Einstein
Dumpy

Postby mb4th » Mon May 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Well they were trying to get Monta Ellis. So I think theres a point where you just cant ignore the value

Do they dare swap picks w/ Detroit and take Aminu, Wes, or Monroe?

I think the package from them would have to be insane b/c going 12-70 and getting the 7th pick in the draft would feel like the biggest kick in the GoMagic!!

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby pegs » Mon May 24, 2010 2:21 pm

mb4th wrote:Well they were trying to get Monta Ellis. So I think theres a point where you just cant ignore the value

but that was in the 2nd round, not one of the top picks. There is much less risk there.
pegs

Postby mb4th » Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

pegs wrote:but that was in the 2nd round, not one of the top picks. There is much less risk there.

But the point remains that at some point you have to pull the trigger. Favors over Wes Johnson seems appropriate

mb4th

Postby BadKiki » Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

If the Nets identify Henry or anyone else to be a pure shooter at the NBA level, they should be very aggressive in acquiring that player. The Nets would essentially be building around a dominant front court with Favors/Cousins and Lopez. They'll need someone to space the floor, and there is no sense waiting for one to fall into their lap.
Whoop-De-Damn-Do: The Divine Nets Tragedy -- Latest: Labelling T-Will
BadKiki

Next

Return to NBA Draft