Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Favors vs Cousins

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Re: Favors vs Cousins

Postby mb4th » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/inthezzone

Off of what we saw and heard today – and we didn’t see much of the workout – is DeMarcus Cousins may have helped himself and Derrick Favors didn’t hurt himself.

First of all, the two big men didn’t go one-on-one. They went against the Nets’ coaching staff. When we walked in Roy Rogers was dripping wet.

But Gregg Polinsky, the Nets director of player personnel, said Cousins showed he can shoot the ball comfortably up to 20 feet. Polinsky said Favors is a work-in-progress as a shooter and showed he can shoot from 15-16 feet.

Developing a mid-range shot from over time would be a nice bonus from Favors.

His release is funky though
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Vuchato » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:00 pm

the Dave D article on the workout (http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/06/the_cousins-favors_verdict_can.html its on the front page) sounds like he thinks Favors is a lock. Saying Polinsky implied Cousins is a five and Favors is more ready and less out of shape than has been implied.
Vuchato

Postby mb4th » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Maybe the T-Wolves would rather have Al Jefferson and Favors and we get Kevin Love and Wes Johnson.

We know Thron would love that.

To me theres a big drop off from Favors to Wes.

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

A Three-Man Race for #3?

Postby D-Lightning » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Off of what we saw and heard today – and we didn’t see much of the workout – is DeMarcus Cousins may have helped himself and Derrick Favors didn’t hurt himself.

First of all, the two big men didn’t go one-on-one. They went against the Nets’ coaching staff. When we walked in Roy Rogers was dripping wet.

But Gregg Polinsky, the Nets director of player personnel, said Cousins showed he can shoot the ball comfortably up to 20 feet. Polinsky said Favors is a work-in-progress as a shooter and showed he can shoot from 15-16 feet.

While we were talking to Polinsky, Cousins shot and showed his range. Then Favors shot and missed most of his tries. Does this mean the Nets don’t pick Favors? No, but it seems they have a little more difficult decision with the No. 3 pick.

“It would have made it easier if one guy came in and did very little and you were extremely disappointed,” Polinsky said. “But we are not disappointed. I think we all walked out of here going these are going to be two very fine NBA players going down the road.”

“What you get with Cousins is a little more power. What you get with Favors is a little more pop. Both will work.”

One of the main things the Nets were looking for was who would play better alongside Brook Lopez. Cousins’ shot-making probably helped him.

Cousins said he’s more comfortable playing power forward than center because it allows him “to show my skill set more.”

“Before I went to college I was playing the 4,” Cousins said. “I had experience at it, but not at this level. I guess you can say I’m more comfortable at the 5 right now.

“I prefer to play 4. I’m saying I’m more comfortable at the 5 right now. But it really doesn’t matter. I just go in and play.”

Cousins is more ready to play now than Favors and would help the Nets in areas such as rebounding and toughness. But there are other factors to consider.

Questions about his conditioning and commitment exist. But Polinsky said Cousins, who is 289 pounds, handled the grueling workout well. Also, by all accounts, the Nets’ were fine with the big man when they interviewed him in Chicago.

Cousins described Favors as “a crazy athlete.” The Nets love that about him, as well as his size – 6-10, 246 – and being only 18.

They see Favors as someone who will grow as a player and physically and could be their power forward of the future, especially if they’re able to get one in free agency.

Favors admitted that the story out of Minnesota, about him being out of shape, had some truth to it.

“I’m not in the best shape,” Favors said. “I’m not in game shape. But I’m in good workout shape where I can push through my workout. I just took as it a criticism. .. .It was a good criticism.”

Favors said conditioning was one of the things he hoped to show the Nets, that and his improved jump shot.

Polinsky said it’s still a three-man race with these two and Syracuse’s Wesley Johnson.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/inthezzone/comments/the_big_workout/
D-Lightning

Postby Jerkstore » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Cousins is a beast.
Jerkstore

Re: A Three-Man Race for #3?

Postby D-Lightning » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:22 pm

I still think it will be Favors, his athleticism gives him the edge. He will be easy to run the fastbreak with while Cousins looks sluggish.

I think the Nets are playing their cards right by saying good things about both this way in case Philly is thinking of moving down to #4 they cant be sure who they will get.

Make the right choice, pick Favors!
D-Lightning

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:28 pm

mb4th wrote:To me theres a big drop off from Favors to Wes.

But those are two different players in different positions... it's not comparing apples to apples here...
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby mb4th » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 pm

CalamityX04 wrote:
But those are two different players in different positions... it's not comparing apples to apples here...

But if we were to be trading w/ the Wolves thats our top draft pick for this year. (Just trying to throw things against the wall b/c Favors is looking pretty locky)

Would you rather Favors (and lets say you had to trade like Lee) or Love and Wes Johnson

mb4th

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54 pm

“I prefer to play 4. I’m saying I’m more comfortable at the 5 right now. But it really doesn’t matter. I just go in and play.”

That quote just confuses me... lol....

Cousins seems to be doing well in raising his stock, to his credit. But it comes down to who is the better fit to Brook? I wonder if any defensive drills were ran?

Favors seems to be favorite but Cousins is closing in apparently

CalamityX04

Postby D-Lightning » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Better article here, says Cousins didnt shoot so hot at our workout. Also Nets know Twolves trying to knock Favors value, apparently they told him hes their pick at #4 if he falls past NJ.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/06/the_cousins-favors_verdict_can.html
D-Lightning

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:06 pm

mb4th wrote: But if we were to be trading w/ the Wolves thats our top draft pick for this year. (Just trying to throw things against the wall b/c Favors is looking pretty locky)

Would you rather Favors (and lets say you had to trade like Lee) or Love and Wes Johnson

Hmm... that's a tricky one... i would have to go with Favors since i'm not too high on Love as many are... however, it would "open" the signing of a FA PF if that trade was made...

CalamityX04

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Big Bad Wolf i say!!!

Favors is looking good right now... seems to be the lock pick thus far.

CalamityX04

Postby Nets4Life » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Favors looks like the pick!...unless we get a nice draft day trade :)
Nets4Life

Postby GMJ » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Here's the interview:
http://www.nba.com/nets/video/2010/06/2 ... index.html

Heh, I'll give Cousins brownie points for saying he was a fan of the Kidd-Kenyon teams...and hope he doesn't eat them! BOOM!
GMJ

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:31 pm

GMJ wrote:
Heh, I'll give Cousins brownie points for saying he was a fan of the Kidd-Kenyon teams...and hope he doesn't eat them! BOOM!

CalamityX04

Postby Kid Chocolate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Another strong workout for Cousins in NJ today vs. Favors. He shot the lights out again. From what I gather it's now a toss-up in NJ @ 3

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/16723140399
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby YehYeh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 pm

We already knew that Cousins is a monster at center well before the workouts. That should have made him the #1 pick in the draft. But now, what's the point of bringing him in for a workout if we don't find out whether he can play from the corner, and defend at the PF? Isn't that the key issue?
YehYeh

Postby D-Lightning » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

This link has 2 short clips of both Favors and Cousins taking shots at our workout.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/06/22/nets.draft.plan/index.html
D-Lightning

Postby Nets4Life » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Looks like RT has made up his mind about Cousins:

“Cousins has great hands and great feet, and he knows how to play,” Thorn said. “But you know, it’s a leap of faith there to suggest that he can play the 4. He can shoot the ball well, and he can face the basket. But I don’t think he’ll take it from 20 feet and go by people, and defensively it could be even more of a problem.”

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/0 ... onroe.html
Nets4Life

Postby Newark2Brooklyn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm not going to believe anything anyone says anymore unless it gets reported by the NBA.

Everyone is throwing smokescreens and trade rumors are rampant.
My opinions are valid.

I also write for these websites.
http://www.netsarescorching.com
pickscroll.blogspot.com
Newark2Brooklyn

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Draft