Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Interesting Mock Draft

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Interesting Mock Draft

Postby isrus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Fanhouse has posted Mock Draft 4.0.

Here are their top 5 picks:

1. Washington Wizards: John Wall, Kentucky

Wall is not only the best prospect of the 2010 draft -- he might be the best prospect since Kevin Durant in 2007. There's no reason for the Wizards to even think about passing on Wall.

2. Philadelphia 76ers: DeMarcus Cousins, Kentucky

Doug Collins is a defensive-minded coach. Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young and Jrue Holiday -- all starters next season -- project or are plus defenders, but unpolished on offense. Collins and his team will need all the offensive help they can get going forward. It helps, then, that Cousins is one of the best offensive big men prospects in years. The word on Cousins is that he needs someone on his tail every day; Collins will be on his draft pick's tail every day, whether the rook needs it or not.

3. New Jersey Nets: Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech

The Nets' offense was the worst in the league last year, and only figures to improve through wholesale changes. New coach Avery Johnson gets dap for his defense, but he's also a fine offensive coach. (Of course, when you're coaching Dirk Nowitzki, it's hard to look bad.) A bounceback for Devin Harris, a bigger role for Terrence Williams, continued improvement for Brook Lopez and the addition of a name free agent could really make the offense sing. But in Favors the Nets can set their frontline for the next decade. Favors projects to be a great NBA defender in a few years, and a brilliant finisher. Mixed with Lopez's size and post skill, this could be a devastating combo.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves: Evan Turner, Ohio State

The Wolves desperately need a perimeter creator, despite the presence of Jonny Flynn, who had a really poor rookie campaign for someone considered by many to be "ready." Turner will waste a lot of possessions with a middling jumper and turnovers galore, but he'll also put pressure on opposing defenses from Day 1, and open up the floor for Flynn and whoever survives the Al Jefferson-Kevin Love fight scene.

5. Sacramento Kings: Greg Monroe, Georgetown

As I wrote last month, only one legit first-round prospect rebounded better than Monroe on the defensive end last season: Cole Aldrich. Monroe projects to be so much better than Aldrich on offense that it's almost a no-brainer that he's become the de facto third big man in the draft behind Cousins and Favors. He could start next to any of the Kings' three incumbent bigs (Carl Landry, Jason Thompson and Samuel Dalembert), and honestly, the Kings, who value versatility, would love that.

I don't see anything like this ever happening, but it's an interesting perspective.

What do you guys think?

Link:http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/19/nba-mock-draft-4-0-pitch-perfect/
isrus

Re: Interesting Mock Draft

Postby isrus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:36 pm

And in my opinion, if for any reason, the Sixers don't draft Evan Turner, the Nets will jump on it instead of Favors or Cousins. Turner isn't going lower than third.
isrus

Postby Vuchato » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:50 pm

I get the feeling this was written by a Timberwolves fan.
Vuchato

Postby Newark2Brooklyn » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:03 pm

I know who that is; he's not a Timberwolves fan. But it's definitely odd that he thinks the Nets would pass on Turner if he was available.
My opinions are valid.

I also write for these websites.
http://www.netsarescorching.com
pickscroll.blogspot.com
Newark2Brooklyn

Postby ghoti » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:21 pm

That's the top four in the WRG draft (click the link in my sig).

It's also the top four in my mock draft (link at WRG).
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby GMJ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm happy with Turner or Favors, but I'd be deadset on picking Turner unless I can swap with Minnesota. Like I said, I'm happy with Favors but to end up with him, passing up on Turner, and not trading down wouldn't be a successful draft.
GMJ

Return to NBA Draft