Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Rumor of the day:Nets will take Derrick Favors No.3

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Rumor of the day:Nets will take Derrick Favors No.3

Postby D-Lightning » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 am

Hours before the draft and it appears pick will be Favors just as was predicted all along. Interesting that the article states Favors will be the pick mostly because he's a valuable trade asset and could even be included in a trade package tonight.

Link
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5322297&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5322297
D-Lightning

Re: Nets will take Derrick Favors No.3 per ESPN

Postby pegs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 am

According to a source with knowledge of the selection, the Nets made the decision because they are not guaranteed to get a power forward such as Utah's Carlos Boozer, Toronto's Chris Bosh or Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire in free agency.

The FO came to their senses...there's hope after all

completely OT from the thread, but the video in the link says Monroe falls to the Pistons. Which means he's not going to the Warriors...thank gawd! I wanna see him actually do something in the league, despite playing for a wack college team
pegs

Postby CalamityX04 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 am

You've been on "gawd" mode this morning... word of the day?

I hope we take Favors and keep him, plain and simple. If we can bring someone great in exchange for him, consider it, weight it then decide, fine. But draft him as he can compliment Brook very well.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby pegs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:50 am

CalamityX04 wrote:You've been on "gawd" mode this morning... word of the day?

I hope we take Favors and keep him, plain and simple. If we can bring someone great in exchange for him, consider it, weight it then decide, fine. But draft him as he can compliment Brook very well.

If things happen the way they should, I'll be on "thank gawd" mode for the rest of the week
pegs

Postby CalamityX04 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:51 am

I don't know what to expect tonight.... i'm scared, nervous and frustrated...

CalamityX04

Breaking News: Nets to draft Derrick Favors

Postby reebokforthree » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 am

The New Jersey Nets will select Derrick Favors with the third overall pick in tonight's draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/ ... pn_5322297
reebokforthree

Re: Rumor of the day:Nets will take Derrick Favors No.3

Postby Vuchato » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:30 am

Jack (St Paul)

I get the feeling the Nets are smoke screening about picking Johnson and have been set on Favors all along. What's your take?
Chad Ford (12:17 PM)

That was the word that came to me last night. I posted something on True Hoop about this. The Nets were trying to entice Minnesota to give them 16 to swap picks. Didn't work. Minnesota was comfortable taking Favors. If they keep the pick, it's going to be Favors I'm told.
Adam (Detroit)

Hey Chad, why do you think the Nets would take a project like Favors over the NBA-ready Wes Johnson?
Chad Ford (12:19 PM)

They believe he's the best talent available. I can't argue with them. I think Wes Johnson is more NBA ready and will be a good player. But Favors has the physical tools to dominate. He's a risk because his freshman season was a little underwhelming, but I blame that mostly on the team he was on and Georgia Tech's poor point guard play. For what it's worth, I was talking to Chris Bosh today (another Georgia Tech alum) and he thinks Favors will be a stud.
Rod (New Jersey)

Will the Nets trade the No. 3 pick
Chad Ford (12:21 PM)

Probably not. But they are listening. I think it would take a deal that gave them back a young All-Star or borderline All-Star and didn't hurt their cap position. Unlikely but you never know. A lot of teams are interested in that No. 3 pick.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/33085

Glad he didn't mention a trade down, and glad thats what it would cost other teams to get him.

Meanwhile DX tweets this

DraftExpress

Nets are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. On one hand comparing Favors to Stromile Swift, on other telling ESPN he's the pick...

More Thorn speak?
Vuchato

Postby D-Lightning » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I have that scary comparison in my head also of Favors=Swift =/ but hoping hes not
D-Lightning

Postby Vuchato » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah, I think the main thing that held Swift back was his intelligence though. Hopefully Favors is smarter. I think Swift is basically his floor though, and although that would suck if he turned out that way, you can do a lot worse than Swift, who was a solid 20 minutes a night guy for his nine year career. For example, Adam Morrison and Eddy Curry.
Vuchato

Postby Netted » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:24 pm

The issue with our recent PFs has been a serious lack of basketball IQ. Yi doesn't have it. Sean Williams didn't have it. Humphries doesn't have it. Swift didn't have it. (I wonder if your brain goes soft when it reaches an altitude of 6'-9"?)

If Favors has a good basketball IQ to go along with his tremendous athletic ability, then you take him. Period.
Netted

Postby GMJ » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Favors is different than your typical "athletic 4" because of his focus on rebounding and playing consistent defense. He's a lot more than a guy with nice PPG and RPG who jumps high.
GMJ

Postby D-Lightning » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Rod Thorn "doesn't love" Nets draft spot now and open for right bid to move down, sources say. "He's fine with sliding back," source says.

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/16946169280
D-Lightning

Postby essrog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Vuchato wrote:Yeah, I think the main thing that held Swift back was his intelligence though. Hopefully Favors is smarter. I think Swift is basically his floor though, and although that would suck if he turned out that way, you can do a lot worse than Swift, who was a solid 20 minutes a night guy for his nine year career. For example, Adam Morrison and Eddy Curry.

I think there's a huge difference between a raw 225-pound 21 year old (Swift in 2000) and a raw 245-pound 18 year old.
essrog

Postby CalamityX04 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Now Thorn wants a trade down??? hmm, probably trying to entice someone to give a little in order to move down. If it's not Favors at PF, then Monroe could be safe backup plan then...if they were to move down.

CalamityX04

Postby D-Lightning » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:17 pm

i think at this point even though im somewhat against it i pull the trigger on Harris/Favors for CP3/Okafor if it means we still have enough cap for 1 max player and of course if CP3 passes physical
D-Lightning

Postby D-Lightning » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 pm

CalamityX04 wrote:Now Thorn wants a trade down??? hmm, probably trying to entice someone to give a little in order to move down. If it's not Favors at PF, then Monroe could be safe backup plan then...if they were to move down.

I wouldnt mind trading down and getting Monroe if it means we get another pick in late teens to scoop up Eric Bledsoe or Bradley
D-Lightning

Postby mb4th » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:33 pm

And if this news upsets you just wait a few hours and we will be taking someone else.
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Vuchato » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:42 pm

mb4th wrote:And if this news upsets you just wait a few hours and we will be taking someone else.

"Last word out of the Nets camp is that they're strongly considering Luke Harangody at pick #3"

I'd be strongly against trading down out of Favors/Wes, it isn't everyday you get a chance to grab such a great prospect, and in such a star centric league, you don't give that up for a much lesser prospect like Monroe/Udoh and whatever other small assets we'd pick up.
Vuchato

Postby mb4th » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 pm

I swear to God I was going to go w/ Harangody, but then changed my mind b/c I thought it would confuse Calamity.
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Vuchato » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:02 pm

lmao, my friend goes to Notre Dame and told me yesterday the Nets should take him (not seriously though, I think)
Vuchato

Next

Return to NBA Draft