Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

The All Prospects Rest of the Season Game Thread

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

The All Prospects Rest of the Season Game Thread

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Mods, not sure if this should go here or the regular draft board...

Anyway, figured this could basically be a big game thread conglomerate for prospects.

I wanted to talk about Marcus Morris, but I didn't want to start a thread for him with nothing but discussing the game that's on right now and didn't want to put it in the Perry Jones thread.

Also wanted to talk about Selby.

So, what is everyone's opinion of how Marcus Morris will translate to the NBA?
Not sure he has a defined position, kind of classic tweener.
Love his game at this level though.
Eduardo's Empanada

Re: The All Prospects Rest of the Season Game Thread

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Kansas is nasty.

I feel like I always forget how good they are until I watch them again.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby Kid Chocolate » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 pm

I'mma put this in the regular Draft section. Good idea.
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby CalamityX04 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am

I think Knight said it best, for Morris, they are skilled guys with a PF's game but not a PF's body/position.

Think they'll be good college players IMO but I'll be very VERY surprise if they made a huge impact in the NBA.

I think he mentioned along the lines of a Luis Scola type game?
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:51 pm

They definitely lean more towards the power forward style, especially Markeiff, but Marcus has shown the ability to put the ball on the floor from the perimeter and create and has 3 point range with good accuracy, albeit on limited attempts.

Not expecting any type of true star out of him, but I could see a high level role player.

STill not sure how he translates on the defensive end in the NBA and that to me is the big problem.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby macgyver893 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:24 pm

What if we could walk away from this year's draft with Kyrie Irving and Terrence Jones somehow....!!!
"Remember, losing is the same as winning, only with fewer points."
- Keith Van Horn (From 90s Nike commercial)
macgyver893

Postby Claud » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm

If we can get Irving with our pick...then is Favors+Irving+ the rest worth it for Melo? Mhm
8 > 3
DH12 OR BUST!
Claud

Postby macgyver893 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Claud wrote:If we can get Irving with our pick...then is Favors+Irving+ the rest worth it for Melo? Mhm

At that point I don't think so. I would bring in someone who might be had for cheaper, like Kevin Martin or Danny Granger (what the homepage is saying is rumored now) and move out Harris + whoever for one of those guys.
"Remember, losing is the same as winning, only with fewer points."
- Keith Van Horn (From 90s Nike commercial)
macgyver893

Postby mb4th » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:08 am

Terrence Jones looked awesome. I liked how he came back from the ankle,

Kind of a tweener though
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:33 pm

A guy I was high on before the season started was Cory Joseph.

Love this kids game.

He's still a little green and they use him off the ball a lot even though he's a point guard through and through.

Doubt he'll ever be as good as Irving, but if he happened to declare this year I think he could easily become the 2nd best point guard out of this draft.

Reminds me of a cross between Chauncey Billups and Deron Williams. Not saying nearly that level of play yet, if ever, just stylistically.

His numbers are quite underwhelming, but he's pretty efficient and he started the year in a very limited role.

I think he could go lotto, top ten even if he declares, even though he is pretty much completely under the radar right now.

I had him top 10 in my first mock back in November, but had pulled him figuring he wouldn't declare. Still not sure if he's going to or not, he could use one more season and the looming lockout will probably make a lot of the one and dones and sophomores gun shy, but if he did he could be similar to this year's Jrue Holiday, as in a guy with a lot of preseason hype that wound up a little short of it, but still garners a lot of buzz and intrigue based off his age, physicals, feel for the game and potential and winds up drafted somewhere in the teens and a couple seasons down the road looks like the steal of the draft, especially based off draft position.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby Hilander » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:14 pm

After watching UNC vs NC State today, I am really impressed with Harrison Barnes. He is definitely not living up to all the hype he received coming into college, but the kid has tons of heart and a lot of talent. He hustles and plays defense every possession and is a great teammate. If he enters the draft this year, I would gladly take him if we end up with the #5-8 pick. He will be very good for years to come. He would fill the void at SF who can hit the 3pointer and also create his own shot, doesn't have a big ego like T. Jones but he can score at will. He also has that silent assassin mentality kind of like K.D. when he entered the league.
JR SMITH UFA 2011..............Hometown Kid, get it done BK.

I wish the "Jubilation" would stay in Newark instead of moving to Brooklyn....
Hilander

Postby Claud » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:48 pm

As of today, I am convinced T Jones is our best bet for a SF.
8 > 3
DH12 OR BUST!
Claud

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 am

Hilander wrote:After watching UNC vs NC State today, I am really impressed with Harrison Barnes. He is definitely not living up to all the hype he received coming into college, but the kid has tons of heart and a lot of talent. He hustles and plays defense every possession and is a great teammate. If he enters the draft this year, I would gladly take him if we end up with the #5-8 pick. He will be very good for years to come. He would fill the void at SF who can hit the 3pointer and also create his own shot, doesn't have a big ego like T. Jones but he can score at will. He also has that silent assassin mentality kind of like K.D. when he entered the league.

IDK man.

He looks like 15ppg Shane Battier to me.

Sure that's a good player, but not for a team like this with a pick that high.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby mb4th » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:27 am

Wow this draft sucks.

I never even seen or heard of this Derick Williams who may be another winner by default in the #1 pick roulette.

Terrence Jones looks like a nastier Marvin Williams . Irving reminds me of Jonny Flynn. Perry Jones could be an Anthony Randolph.

Sullinger ha some Dejaun Blair to him, but thats not franchise player material.

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:23 pm

mb4th wrote:Wow this draft sucks.

Well, I half agree.

It seems to have very few real franchise guys, or even stars for that matter, but there's a decent amount of quality depth that should be available till pretty late.

Pretty much the kind of draft you want to land a very high pick in if you're in the lotto, because there's only a few guys worth taking high and the trade value of the pick is probably going to drop pretty hard the further back you go.

Doesn't seem to be a ton of difference between maybe pick 7 and pick 15.

Terrence Jones looks like a nastier Marvin Williams.

I don't know about all this. Some people seem to think T Jones is gonna be a straight up star. I don't know if I see it, but he is still a strong prospect with a unique skil lset, great athleticism and probably really good measures and he has a fire to him, something Williams never had even if they did share the same style, which I don't think they really do.

Again, a player like him still has a lot of trade value, there are going to be a number of GM's that are in love with this kid for what he could become if coached up and if he puts in work.

Irving reminds me of Jonny Flynn.

Wow.
Absolutely not.
Even if you're not from the line of thinking that Irving's a franchise guy, their styles of play and skill set are wildly different.

Perry Jones could be an Anthony Randolph.

Yeah, he could, but I think he's a lot more skilled, under control and coachable.

Perry Jones has the measures, athleticism and just an amazing skill set, but he doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body or an alpha demeanor.

Without that he'll likely never live up to his lofty draft status and high expectations, but he seems like a can't miss high level contributor within a couple seasons of being drafted and yet again, this kid is going to have crazy high trade value, even if he was in a strong draft, his potential is going to have most GM's straight drooling.

Sullinger has some Dejaun Blair to him, but thats not franchise player material.

I like Sullinger alot. I think he's going to be somewhere between Luis Scola and Carlos Boozer.

That said, I agree, that's not a franchise guy.

His a little short, he's not too athletic and is a below the rim player for the most part and he is not going to be able to defend anyone, just like a Kevin Love.

He's extremely heady, high BBIQ. Can pass the ball, polished low post skills, is said to have a good mid range jumper even though he never uses it at Ohio State.

Seems like a winner.

Not sure if he's a true leader, but he's not a blend in player either, true impact guy.

All this said, he's another guy that makes no sense for us and chances are he's going to be the guy where we pick, so Favors or him would probably be gone through trade on draft night or maybe by the deadline at latest if there's no lockout. Add to this, I think he's a terrible fit next to Brook...

Pretty much, it's going to suck if we don't land the #1 overall pick(or whatever pick Irving is slotted at), or even worse, Irving doesn't declare...
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby CalamityX04 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm making reservations for the Harrison Barnes bandwagon... came off a great game on Saturday... first all season perhaps, but seeing the skills first hand(tv) i saw the #1 player assumptions in preseason....

I'll gamble on him if he declares.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:17 pm

I would take Jordan Hamilton or Alec Burks over Harrison Barnes as of now.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby mb4th » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:45 pm

I like what Im seeing in this Ole Miss game, definitely warming up to Terrence Jones.

Still think he might be a PF though

Josh Smith is a better comparison

mb4th

Postby Claud » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:08 am

Barnes starting to get it going.. 2nd straight 25+ points game.
8 > 3
DH12 OR BUST!
Claud

Postby pegs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 am

How many people actually watch these prospects that aren't on/against their favorite teams?

The only times I have were when Duke and Kentucky lost...otherwise, I only know about the Big East right now
pegs

Next

Return to NBA Draft