Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Running draft thread

Discuss mock drafts and keep track of draft prospects.

Re: Running draft thread

Postby CalamityX04 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am

:) I knew you would come in!!!!

let's bring life back to the boards!!!! before Billy King forces me to take a huge jump!
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Kid Chocolate » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Perry probably won't put up huge numbers this year. Baylor has an incredibly talented roster, it'll be surprising for one guy to really show out in the stats column in the long haul.
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby mb4th » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 am

Warriors right on track for the 8th pick. Fml

Were not rebuilding and were still the worst team in the league
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby CalamityX04 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:47 am

Still have Houston's pick...... :)

but yeah... i know.... :(

CalamityX04

Postby macgyver893 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Ok, so is it time to start discussing who we'll be taking with our lottery pick this year?

Biggest need now is a SF, and behind that is PF.

Who knows where the Nets will be picking, but if the season keeps going the way it is now, it's looking like anywhere from 1-6.

If by some miraculous reason the Nets can keep Deron AND sign Dwight Howard, I think they should get a guy like Harrison Barnes or Jeremy Lamb.
If they can't get Dwight then go for Perry Jones or Jared Sullinger.

And hopefully their pick in the mid first round (via Houston) will actually amount to something.
"Remember, losing is the same as winning, only with fewer points."
- Keith Van Horn (From 90s Nike commercial)
macgyver893

Postby CalamityX04 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:29 pm

SF/PF are the needs going in... however if theres a chance at Lamb, may be too tempting to pass up.

I like Barnes but definitely feeling Lamb more and more since the madness last season.

I want to see more of this Drummond guy, apparently he's projected to be a beast.

Depends what happens with D12, do we get him? if so, how? if signed as a FA, then he fills our PF/C spot easily with Brook(yes i am dreaming of that type of duo).

We keep our lotto pick and hope for the likes of Lamb, Barnes or Pj3.... i feel i'm forgetting someone from Washington or around there.... oh well.

CalamityX04

Postby pegs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 pm

If it's looking like Deron's leaving, I say we try to get as many good guys in this draft as possible. Hopefully teams sell picks. I also wouldn't be opposed to trading down.

I'd be up for that, and picking up guys like Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones, etc.
pegs

Postby mb4th » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Unfortunately were gonna have to wait til the deadline though to see what's up w/ Duhwhite. And once we have our answer it'll be too late to move Deron. Unless they are as bad as we think, go like 6-44, and he asks out.

I mean
Westbrook
Brooks
?
Anthony Davis
Lopez

Is a start I guess.

Or

Steph curry
?
Josh smith((BLo)
Anthony Davis
Udoh

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby macgyver893 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am

Nets have been playing better as of lately.... maybe this means we'll be picking from 5-10. Maybe no Lamb or Barnes now :(
"Remember, losing is the same as winning, only with fewer points."
- Keith Van Horn (From 90s Nike commercial)
macgyver893

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:29 pm

5 to 10?

Unless we make a top 3 jump we'll be at 8th at absolute worst, probably more like 10 to 12 if we miss the playoffs.

We all got to "excited" with the horrible start, because no matter how bad we are there are 7 teams that are locks to be worse then us and another 3 that are very likely.

Washington
Charlotte
Toronto
Detroit
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Sacramento

After that:

Golden State
Phoenix
Cleveland

Are very likely to be worse then us.

This team needs a fiscally responsible, asset conscience, long term outlook yet instant improvement trade in the worst way even if it costs both our 2012 picks so we can sneak into the playoffs and try to make a name for ourselves and get guys some experience in pressure situations with Deron and in general.

I would never advocate that if we were looking like top 10 locks, but some putrid teams in the East got off to hot starts and the way it looks we'll be in the playoff fight til the end and worst case and simultaneously likely case wind up 9th in the East and something like the 12th overall pick barring an unheard of top 3 leap.

That's a crappy place to be.

I'm not saying to dump those picks for old guys on expirings that we'll never resign just to make a weak low seeded run at it, but if Dwight is off the table and we're where I think we'll be in March, we need to look at some moves such as Farmar and the better of our picks for Batum, even both picks if need be as long as we can include Petro somehow.

As is as long as we don't keep having a rash of injuries we would probably only wind up around the 8th worst in the league, once Brook is back this team will be much improved and add a bunch of wins unintentionally.

And as coincidental and superstitious as it may seem, picks outside the top ten in the lotto have a much worse rate of success then a pick like say the 17th overall specifically does.

I like this draft top to bottom, I think pretty much everyone does from fans, to draftniks, to GM's, to media, so I don't mind having the two picks in the teens, but on the other hand I imagine those picks are a lot more valuable then usual.

This draft would have shaped up VERY well just under normal circumstances, but with all the underclassmen that returned to school because of fear of the lockout last draft, this draft will have guys with mid lotto upside into the 20's.

That means teams may make more risky moves at the deadline, trading away talent they normally wouldn't unless for a pick say around 8th overall on draft night now instead accepting something like the better of our pick or the Rockets pick if the Rockets look very likely to make the playoffs and we look late lotto to pick 16 locks.

Also of important note is King is not the type to sit still and has made a plethora of comments that almost outright say he'll be making a few trades at the deadline, some to dump salary, others to improve.

Although he's also a good drafter, I would imagine at least one of our 2 picks is guaranteed to be dealt in some shape or form.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby mb4th » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 am

mb4th wrote:Warriors right on track for the 8th pick. Fml

Were not rebuilding and were still the worst team in the league

Riiiight on track for the 8th or 9th pick.

mb4th

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:15 am

Yeah more than likely. Oh well, that's part of the cost to get Deron and likely Dwight.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby mb4th » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:54 am

It's frustrating that for once a team cooperates with is when we have thier pick and we won't reap the benefits.

And my cowboys have had the browns and bills pick in the last 5 years and where do those teams pick that year? Like 20, and 22. The browns and bills.

mb4th

Postby CalamityX04 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 pm

The more i see PJ3, the less likely i see him as a SF.... PF and his D is bad too boot.... IMO.

CalamityX04

Postby Drew » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Any "mature" players stick out at small forward or power forward in the top ten? NI put up a story where Greg Polinsky said they are looking for mature players. The one that immediatley came to mind was Sullinger, but I'm guessing that he wouldn't be the best fit next to Dwight.
One would assume if the Nets somehow manage to hold on to their pick, they're going to be looking for someone ready to come in and contribute right away.
Drew

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 am

SF:
Jeremy Lamb(more of a SG)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Terrence Ross
Harrison Barnes

PF:
Anthony Davis
Thomas Robinson

And although yes they are going to want someone to come in and contribute, I think the maturity thing was more about no projects and no head cases.

They aren't going to take a guy with a top pick just because he can come in and average 14ppg at the cost of that being his ceiling while they pass on a kid that isn't a huge impact til his 2nd or 3rd season who will be a top 15 level player in the league in his prime.

At least I would hope they wouldn't...
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby idelbi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 pm

The more I read about MKG, the more I think he'd be the ideal SF for the Nets, assuming we have least MarShon and Lopez (with or without DWill and Dwight). Other than Anthony Davis, is there another player in this year's draft that would be a better fit with the Brook and Brooks (or the Brook(s) as I like to call them)?
idelbi

Postby CalamityX04 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:14 pm

High on Drummond before, but even more high on him now. If no Davis, Drummon is someone to target w/o Dwight in the picture.

CalamityX04

Postby Eduardo's Empanada » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:44 am

I don't like Drummond. Let alone he's so raw and unskilled, his motor, drive and passion aren't very good.
Eduardo's Empanada

Postby CalamityX04 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 am

The guy is beast in size and with a pass first pg, he can definitely be a weapon on the offense. He's young and as you said, raw, so its still time/room for development.

I like the energy from games i've seen(esp the big east tourny), maybe there was a game i didnt see where he wasn't on a high motor?

CalamityX04

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Draft