Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

A la Drejer: Staiger leaves Iowa St to play in Germany

Amateurs.

A la Drejer: Staiger leaves Iowa St to play in Germany

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Iowa State will miss the shooting of Lucca Staiger, who hit 10 3s against Drake earlier this season.

He quit on his teammates, on the staff and on the school Tuesday when he walked into Iowa State coach Greg McDermott's office and said he was going to play in Germany.

This was hardly a quick decision. McDermott said Staiger said he had a plane ticket to go back to his native Germany for Saturday.

"You don't buy a plane ticket home if it's not in the works," McDermott said Wednesday. "I'm disappointed. He knew when he practiced Monday that he wasn't going to play against Texas Tech."

Staiger released a statement Tuesday saying that he had an opportunity to play professionally in his home country and decided to pursue it right away. He said he would miss his teammates and thanked the fans. He also had a telling statement that he felt it was "important to make this move now because the opportunity might not be there in the future for me."

That's almost the exact thing that happened to Florida in February 2004 when Christian Drejer bolted on Billy Donovan and the Gators in the middle of the SEC season for a pro contract in Spain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... =katz_andy

I think Katz is being a little too harsh, because if he's getting offered a contract similar to Drejer's, and it's a take it or leave it...how could you not take it. It's not like he's going to play in a foreign country, it's still his homeland, and it's more money than he'd make if he tried to make the NBA, as he probably wouldn't make it.

Maybe finishing out the season is the "moral" thing to do, but do you finish out the season on morality's sake and then lose out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to make big bucks and still play ball?
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Re: A la Drejer: Staiger leaves Iowa St to play in Germany

Postby GMJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Didn't Wesley Johnson transfer from Iowa State? What are they putting in the water over there?
GMJ

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 pm

GMJigga wrote:Didn't Wesley Johnson transfer from Iowa State? What are they putting in the water over there?

I don't know, but they've had some major problems.
Tashied Carr transferred from Iowa St. to St Joseph's and started at PG for us and was very good.
Larry Eustachy got fired for partying with co-eds.
Wesley Johnson transferred to 'Cuse.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby Netted » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:02 pm

GMJ wrote:Didn't Wesley Johnson transfer from Iowa State? What are they putting in the water over there?

It's Ames, Iowa who the GO NETS!!! wants to be there?!
Netted

Postby reganomics813 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Katz needs to get off the NCAA teet and get a grip on reality. If you get offered a chance to play professional ball, you do it. Quit on his team? Please, see how many of his teammates would turn that down if it a similar situation came along.

Last I knew, kids went to school to put themselves in the running for a nice paying job - it just so happens he's already got one and it requires him to move. It's as simple as that. To me, it's a bunch of sour grapes and selfishness coming from anybody spewing hate regarding this kid's decision. I hope he succeeds.
reganomics813

Postby Kid Chocolate » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Note that this got bumped by spam and is from last year. :)
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Return to College Basketball