Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

[UPDATED] Rubio to Stay with Joventut

Discuss former Nets and players of interest that are playing overseas.

[UPDATED] Rubio to Stay with Joventut

Postby kobimel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:55 am

According to some recent rumours, spanish star Ricky Rubio is near to reach and agreement with Real Madrid for the next two seasons. It's said that spanish powerhouse would have to pay 3 million euros instead of 5 millions as a clausule to get Ricky.

After some weeks of doubts and rumours about where Ricky Rubio would play next season, it seems that finally the story came to the end, and Real Madrid will probably be the lucky team to get the most desired player of the summer in Europe.

http://www.talkbasket.net/news/ricky-ru ... -1581.html

Netted wrote:In Russia, There Are No Witnesses
kobimel

Re: Rubio Reportedly Chooses Real Madrid

Postby GMJ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:05 am

I hate the Timberwolves. I was so excited to see this guy play in the NBA next year. I wonder if this makes his trade rights less valuable, knowing that he won't come over for a couple of years. I can see the spin from Minnesota's side already: "We knew he was going to stay all along, and this has been our plan." Really? So what happens to Flynn in two years time?
GMJ

Re: Rubio Reportedly Chooses Real Madrid

Postby kobimel » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:30 am

Looks like the previous report was false, and Rubio is headed to Barcelona, Real's bitter rival:

FC Barcelona is close to making Ricky Rubio a five-year offer worth $1.4 million annually with an escape clause allowing him to play in the NBA after two years.

Rubio was paid just $97,000 last season by DKV Joventut.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_129 ... ck_check=1
Last edited by Kid Chocolate on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use real links, not realgm

kobimel

Re: [UPDATED] Rubio to Stay with Joventut

Postby kobimel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:07 am

Rubio will stay with his old team, DKV Joventut Badalona, presumably after the Wolves, Real and Barcelona failed to pay his buyout in order to allow him to join their squads:

"After endless comings and goings, Ricky Rubio is finally where he is. After many speculations about its future, the player decided to put an end to the issue of their transfer and will be announced at DKV Joventut, where he still has two more years of contract.
Pass out to the Minnesota Timberwolves and Real Madrid, Rubio said after a talk with his father concluded that it is best to close this chapter of back and forth about their future and stay at their current club.
The problem is that the base could spend next season watching the games from the stands as in Penya no intention to take this into account as part of the template (and signed Mario Fernandez and Kristaps Valters covering his post).
But Rubio is not intimidated. Makes clear that continuity within the institution virtually assured, the arrival of Fernandez and Valters only motivates him more to fight for the post: "At first I interpreted it as a sign that they did not want to continue on the team next season and now it seems clear that I am, I welcome the competition. The Hague is a good thing because it will help me to improve and continue to grow as a player. "

http://www.canishoopus.com/2009/8/7/981 ... l-decision

kobimel

Return to International Basketball