Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Euroleague Thread

Discuss former Nets and players of interest that are playing overseas.

Re: Euroleague Thread

Postby Kid Chocolate » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:24 am

I really like Tepic. I hope he does well. I'm a big Pekovic fan, as well, and would love to see him come to the NBA, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Tripkovic has been lights out this year for Joventut. He has to come back down to earth eventually. All his percentages seem to be outliers.
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:51 pm

A great article on Teodosic which just came out as he won January Euroleague Player of the Month:

This season has already been seen as a “Next Level” step for the 22-year-old and with Euroleague officials of naming him Player of the Month for January 2010, the confirmation of Milos Teodosic as the first great new star of the ‘10s is here.

After the youngster was named to the Eurobasket 2009 All-Tournament Team, Euroleague – and particularly Reds fans – have awaited the megastardom of Teodosic. Through the 2009-10 season, the guard hasn’t disappointed, shooting at an incredible 71.9% rate in the big league while maintaining a line of 11.5 points and 4.5 assists per game.

Congratulations, Milos, and may your promising career continue prosperously!

http://www.ballineurope.com/european-ba ... f-the-10s/

Netted wrote:In Russia, There Are No Witnesses
kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:22 am

How about Partizan upsetting Barcelona in OT! Jan Vesely played 40 minutes (he had played over 20 4 games this season, and over 30 only against Panathinaikos last game), and had 13 points and 15 boards. He's had his 2 best games in the first 2 top 16 games. In both games he's taken more FT's than FG's. I like that attack mode he's in.

Now they get Maroussi, who on paper is the weakest team in the group. What a great start, beating Panathinaikos and Barcelona.

Also, very surprised with Prokom beating Unicaja by 20.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:37 am

I couldn't believe the score when I first saw it. Unbelievable, not only the win but the ability to hold Barcelona to just 66 points in 45 minutes. They look in prime position to advance now, I saw Marrousi play several times in the earlier stages and they are not very impressive. Very aggressive, lots of banging down low, but not much talent.

Anyway, that's just one of the upsets so far in Game 2. Prokom vs Unicaja was a huge surprise as well (though when you let Omar Cook, Berni Rodriguez, Carlos Jimenez and Juan Dixon combine for 4-24 from 3pt, you can't be THAT surprised...), and Efes beat Siena by 20 at home. Zalgiris led CSKA by 10 at halftime before falling apart in the 2nd half. I can just hope that Maccabi don't continue the streak of upsets by beating Real today...

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:50 am

Maccabi is actually favored over Real in that game.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 am

Talent wise, I don't think so. Maccabi have home court advantage, but I think Real are much more talented, better coached and they're definitely my favorites to win. If Maccabi win, it would be seen as an upset by the Israeli media and by the Maccabi fans.

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:17 am

kobimel wrote:Talent wise, I don't think so. Maccabi have home court advantage, but I think Real are much more talented, better coached and they're definitely my favorites to win. If Maccabi win, it would be seen as an upset by the Israeli media and by the Maccabi fans.

I think Real will win, too, but I was just talking about the actual game odds. Maccabi is a 1.5 point favorite.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 am

Kid Chocolate wrote:
I think Real will win, too, but I was just talking about the actual game odds. Maccabi is a 1.5 point favorite.

Yeah, that's what I guessed you meant. I'm just pointing out what the media and fans here think, which is that a Maccabi win=an upset.

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:24 am

kobimel wrote:Yeah, that's what I guessed you meant. I'm just pointing out what the media and fans here think, which is that a Maccabi win=an upset.

I guess the Maccabi fans have no faith. ;)
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaCgNUr9 ... _embedded#

The crowd at Pionir is simply unbelievable, even by European standards. I hope to go to a game there one day, seems like it would be one of the best atmospheres a basketball game could offer.

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:00 pm

kobimel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaCgNUr9jL4&feature=player_embedded#

The crowd at Pionir is simply unbelievable, even by European standards. I hope to go to a game there one day, seems like it would be one of the best atmospheres a basketball game could offer.

I know. I want to go to a game in Belgrade so bad. Every time I watch the Partizan highlights, it looks amazing.
That euroleague channel is one of my 4 or 5 subscriptions on youtube, I love watching them.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Maccabi wins! lol
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Yeah haha too bad...ah well at least it was just a 5 point win, Real can beat them at home by more than that (I hope). Honestly, the only Galactico I was impressed with was Kaukenas. I definitely expected more from Velickovic (who lacked a lot of confidence) and Lllull.

Also, another HUGE upset as Marrousi beat Panathinaikos! Unbelievable. Cibona also nearly beat Caja Laboral. What a crazy round of games.

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm

And Partizan loses to Maroussi. Was a wild game. Maroussi outscores Partizan 20-7 in the 1st, and Partizan outscores Maroussi 11-2 in the 2nd.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:28 am

2 points in a quarter...and they won the game. How is that even possible? Too bad, Partizan could've taken a huge step forward by winning.

Panathinaikos seem to be on the way out at 0-3. Who would've thought, despite their injury problems this season.

The biggest surprise for me so far has been 34 year old Kelly McCarty from Khimki, though. 18 ppg on 64% 2pt and 46% 3pt in the Top 16 so far, including 23 points vs Caja Laboral in their last game. He led Hapoel to the ULEB Cup back in 2004, so I'm rooting for him.

kobimel

Postby dex » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 am

kobimel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaCgNUr9jL4&feature=player_embedded#

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The ... grade-3400
Attending a game at Pionir arena is hardly for the faint of heart—the smoke makes it nearly impossible to breathe and coins and lighters regularly get thrown onto the court—but it’s an experience that every real basketball fan should go through at least once in their life.

^Great article.
dex

Postby dex » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:44 am

I watched RM vs Siena yesterday, what a game. It was a do or die game for RM, and they won coming from behind thanks to two of their youngest players, Llull and Tomic. Those kids can ball. Llull's play in the fourth quarter was absolutely spectacular. He plays with great passion and has an NBA-ready body.

Tomic's performance was impressive, too. He is really skilled. I mean, he's what 7-1, 7-2, and has such a nice touch, great back to the basket moves, nice mid range jumper, extremely solid passing ability and high BB IQ. He can face the basket and put the ball on the floor, which makes him really hard to guard. I had read scouts compare his game to Pau Gasol's and I certainly see the similarities.

Keep an eye on those two kids. Tomic is 23, Llull 22. Both could turn into 2nd round steals. Jazz hold Tomic's rights, Rockets own Llull's.
dex

Postby Kid Chocolate » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Llull has been impressive this year. The few games I've been able to catch with him, I've been impressed.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:32 am

Llull is awesome, I didn't watch the entire game but there was one particular defensive possession where he simply suffocated McIntyre. I also caught Tomic showing some solid post moves.

In other news, Panathinaikos are officially 0-4 and out of the next round. Sucks that we won't get to see more of Pekovic, but at least Partizan now have a great shot at advancing.

Group F is in a 4 way tie right now (all at 2-2). Remaining games: Real host Maccabi, Maccabi host Montepaschi, Montepaschi host Efes, Efes host Real. All potentially great games.

kobimel

Postby dex » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:16 am

Quarter finals:

Maccabi-Partizan
Olympiacos-Prokom
Barcelona-Real
CSKA-Caja Laboral

Real screwed big time by losing to Maccabi at home. They had a big lead and let it slip away, so instead of holding home-court advantage and facing Partizan, they'll face Barcelona, and they'll have to overcome home court disadvantge if they want to make it to the F4. IMO, Barcelona will sweep the series, they've blown out Real every time they've played them this season. Maccabi, CSKA and Olympiacos should win their series, too, IMO.
dex

PreviousNext

Return to International Basketball