Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Euroleague Thread

Discuss former Nets and players of interest that are playing overseas.

Re: Euroleague Thread

Postby kobimel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Yup, looks likes the Final Four is pretty much set. Partizan would have been my favorites to beat Maccabi if they had home court advantage, but I don't think they can win a game in NOKIA. Real and Messina can kiss the Euroleague good bye. What a horrible 48 hours for Real Madrid (the loss to Maccabi a day after being eliminated from the Champions League in soccer).

CSKA-Caja Laboral looks close on paper, but I think CSKA won't let an opportunity to reach yet another Final Four slip away, and honestly they've looked much better than the Spaniards, despite losing the Khimki.

Olympiacos got lucky and can already start packing for Paris. Prokom aren't a real challenge.

Netted wrote:In Russia, There Are No Witnesses
kobimel

Postby dex » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:04 pm

kobimel wrote:Partizan would have been my favorites to beat Maccabi if they had home court advantage, but I don't think they can win a game in NOKIA.

Agreed. I tihnk Maccabi will win 3-2, because I don't see them winning at Pionir either.
kobimel wrote:Real and Messina can kiss the Euroleague good bye.

Could things get ugly for Messina if Real gets slaughtered again by Barcelona (which is what I expect)? Not saying he could be fired (at least not until the season is over), but nothing hurts more in RM land than being humiliated by Barcelona, and they've already been blown out by them twice this season (one of them in front of a sold out crowd at Vistalegre, the other one the Spanish Cup final). Louis Bullock said he never imagined there could be such a rivalry. Plus, they haven't made it to the Final Four in something like 15 years. That's why they signed Messina, and that's why they spent a lot of money signing whoever he wanted. If Barcelona eliminates them and they don't compete (which is what happened in their previous two meetings this season), I think Messina's job could be questioned.
dex

Postby kobimel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:29 pm

The problem with Real is not only the Barcelona rivalry, but also the huge expectations from both the soccer and basketball "galacticos" from the beginning of the year. The Champions League final is being held in Madrid this season; Real lost in the 1/8th finals and won't be able to make it. The Final Four was supposed to be Real's this season, after years of disappointment; that's not going to happen either. Florentino Perez, who is president of both teams, spent around 300 million euros in the offseason on the two (with the bulk being spent on the soccer team), and so if neither team reaches it's goal (at this point neither is even close) I think Messina and Pellegrini (coach of the soccer team) will both lose their jobs. Real are looking for immediate results. Lots of money was spent on the players and nobody wants to see that go to waste, so the easy choice would be to switch coaches and hope something clicks next season. The only thing that could possibly keep Messina at Real would be the fact that there is no other coach on the market at this point who is even comparable to him. I think Real would be wise to give this team another year, including Messina.

If they do get humiliated by Barcelona, that's just more incentive to trash the whole project.

As for Pionir, the latest news is that Partizan are looking to host their home games at the 23,000 seat Belgrade Arena. Advantage: lots more diehard Serbs to cheer for their team. Disadvantage: not nearly as intimidating as Pionir, IMO.

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

kobimel wrote: Partizan would have been my favorites to beat Maccabi if they had home court advantage, but I don't think they can win a game in NOKIA.

PSH. Do you even follow Euroleague?

:lol:

Partizan 85 Maccabi 77 @ Nokia
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 pm

I'd say that win made my week, but it didn't...I need Hapoel to beat Berlin tomorrow in the Eurocup for that to happen. But it sure was a huge step in the right direction. :D :D :D

GO NETS!!! Maccabi

EDIT: Dusan Kecman, who scored over 10 points just 4 times in the past 16 games (none of those in the Top 16), exploded for 29 points (10/13 FG, including 7/9 from 3PT!!!) in 27 minutes. That's what I love about Partizan, you just never know who's going to surprise you next. Oh, and Bo McCalebb dominated, as usual, with 12/10/6. Incredible for a little guy like him to grab so many rebounds when there are so many huge players on the floor (especially on his own team).

Also, two near upsets in Barcelona and Athens, but both home teams managed to win eventually. CSKA demolished Caja.

kobimel

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 am

Kecman was on fire!

I saw he was 7-9 from 3 and was like WOW! That's what Partizan needs to win on the road in this series. They had a huge 4th to pull the game out.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby dex » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:20 am

I don't get why Messina plays guys like Garbajosa or Hansen, while talented players like Bullock or Velickovic keep being glued to the bench. Real played well, they led by 3 with something like 4 minutes remaining, but they scored just one point the rest of the way.

Btw, when was the last time Partizan made it to the Final Four?
dex

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:59 am

dex wrote:Btw, when was the last time Partizan made it to the Final Four?

Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby Kid Chocolate » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:02 am

kobimel wrote:As for Pionir, the latest news is that Partizan are looking to host their home games at the 23,000 seat Belgrade Arena. Advantage: lots more diehard Serbs to cheer for their team. Disadvantage: not nearly as intimidating as Pionir, IMO.

I'm pretty sure that they are playing both of their home games against Maccabi @ Belgrade Arena.

They actually bumped 50 Cent to Pionir so they could use Belgrade Arena for basketball.

They played PAO @ Belgrade Arena last year in the quarterfinals (and broke the Euroleague single game attendance record), so it's nothing new. I think 15,000 more fans makes it just as intimidating, but Pionir is still tops.
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:48 am

I'm good with their arena either way, both Pionir and Belgrade are great for their own reasons. I would have loved to see 50 Cent's face when he was told that he's been bumped from a 25,000 seat arena to a 7,000 seat one in favor of a local basketball game.

Oh, and 2010 1st round prospect Jan Vesely was interesting to watch. 8 points (3/6 FG), 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 TOs in 30 minutes for Partizan's 19 year old. He showed some impressive athleticism and pretty drives, but sometimes passed the ball off after getting past his man instead of going all the way to the basket. Seemed to crack under the pressure a few times (an airball from three, a missed dunk in the final quarter), but that's to be expected from a young guy in an away game at such a critical stage. Also didn't put the ball on the floor much and sometimes settled for standing in place and waiting for a teammate to free himself instead of dribbling and opening passing lanes. Basically, an unspectacular game, but he did show talent and proved that he fits at this level. I'll keep my eye on him for the rest of the series (and hopefully, all the way to the finals).

kobimel

Postby dex » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Kid Chocolate wrote:1998

Thanks, KC.

Real won on the road! LOL!

They've played really well this first two games. That Ante Tomic kid is so talented, dude is the ultimate finesse big man. :lol:

If Real win next 2 games (both at home), they'll make it to the F4 for the first time in something like 14-15 years. If I'm not mistaken, last time they made it to the F4, Arvydas Sabonis was their star player and Zeljko Obradovic their HC, LOL.
dex

Postby Kid Chocolate » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Partizan going final 4!
Imagegfx by gmj

Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby kobimel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 pm

What a win by Partizan! Them advancing to the FF over Maccabi helped me overcome Hapoel's exit in the Eurocup 1/4 Finals. An incredible performance by their fans, everybody keeps talking about them but you don't fully understand how awesome they are until you actually see 23,000 cheer non-stop the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdIe_5L_34

I'm rooting for Partizan to upset in the Final Four, but it looks like Barca are the heavy favorites to win.

Barcelona vs CSKA

Partizan vs Olympiacos

I'm picking Barcelona vs Olympiacos as the final (I hope Partizan prove me wrong again though), and that should actually be a pretty entertaining game.

kobimel

Previous

Return to International Basketball