Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Ginobili to Madrid?

Discuss former Nets and players of interest that are playing overseas.

Ginobili to Madrid?

Postby kobimel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 am

Real's coach Ettore Messina is looking to add another top quality player in his quest to win Euroleague title with the Spanish giants. San Antonio Spurs Argentinian star Manu Ginobili could be wearing the colours of Real Madrid next season. Spanish journalist Ramon Trecet confirmed the rumours about the interest of Los Blancos in bringing 32-year-old veteran on his Twitter account.

Ginobili was 2001 Euroleague champion with Kinder Bologna who was coached by Ettore Messina at the time. Two years later Ginobili went to NBA where he became one of the key players at San Antonio Spurs. During seven seasons in San Antonio Ginobili won three NBA titles.

Individually best season in NBA for Ginobili was in 2007-2008 when he averaged 19.5 points. This season Manu averages 15.3 points and 4.8 assists per game for the Spurs.

http://www.talkbasket.net/news/real-mad ... -2946.html

Looks like the contract could be worth up to 13 MILLION per year.

According to several radio reports in Spain from the Spanish Euroleague club Real Madrid, they will offer Manu Ginobili a contract that amounts to an NBA salary of about $13 million per year this summer.

Real Madrid also has a connection with Manu, as their current head coach was Manu’s former coach when he played in Italy.

Other NBA related players that are said to be targets of Real Madrid this summer are Spurs first round draft pick Tiago Splitter, Darko Milicic, Sergio Rodriguez, Andres Nocioni, and Rudy Fernandez. The club will offer buyouts to the NBA teams of Nocioni and Fernandez.

Ginobili is the club’s main target though, and they will apparently go after him hard, as they believe they can get him due to his very good relationship with their head coach Messina.
Similar Posts:

http://madrid.hotnewstrend.info/2010/03 ... oopsnotes/

Netted wrote:In Russia, There Are No Witnesses
kobimel

Re: Ginobili to Madrid?

Postby dex » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 am

$13 million per? I'll believe this when I see it. :)
dex

Re: Ginobili to Madrid?

Postby Ast » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:28 pm

If I was in Manu's shoes, I'd do it. Unless Spurs magically become a playoff powerhouse, Manu will have 3 choices:
1) Resign with SA and watch it struggle down to mediocrity
2) Sign with another team, learn new system, play for a worse coach and barely be a playoff team.
3) Sign with a Euroleague powerhouse, getting paid same money for being a champion.
Ast

Return to International Basketball