Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

Had Lunch With Carlos Boozer Today...

Nets-related discussion.

Had Lunch With Carlos Boozer Today...

Postby PsychoNetsFan34 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 pm

So me and my girlfriend were having lunch at the Grand Luxe Cafe in the Paramus Mall today, and I noticed the guy sitting next to me was awfully familiar...it was Carlos Boozer and his agent. So after he finished his meal I finally said hey Mr.Boozer why don't you come play for the NETS. Shocked that I recognized him we got into about a 15 minute conversation about the state of the Jazz and Nets. I asked him what he was doing in NJ and he said "ya know house shopping and such." Shocked I said, "House shopping? You thinking of playing for NJ?" "Maybe...just maybe." he replied with a smirk. I told him I would be all for it considering we need a PF. He agreed completely and said Yi has potential but isn't a starter in the NBA. He was a super nice guy and left a HUGEEEE tip for his waitress. Total class act.

But my question now is this, is Boozer a Free Agent this upcomming season or 2010? Are the Jazz looking to move him? Because I could see Boozer just joking around, but why would he be in Jersey? He seemed pretty serious when he said house shopping. And Bergen county is an area where athletes from the tri state area tend to live. I hope he is being serious and maybe Thorn is secretly working a deal to get Boozer. If so I am all for it. This guy was a class act and I would welcome him on this team. In any case it was cool to have a conversation about basketball with a respective athlete.
PsychoNetsFan34

Re: Had Lunch With Carlos Boozer Today...

Postby rjsb12 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Wow, that's awesome bro.
rjsb12

Postby Kid Chocolate » Fri May 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Boozer can opt out of his contract this year.
Imagegfx by gmj

WRG? Blogging the NBA draft in a slightly different way.
Kid Chocolate
Site Admin

Postby PsychoNetsFan34 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Yeah I just saw that on HoopsHype. But I see he would stand to make 12+ million if he stays, so I don't see why he would leave seeing as I don't see the Nets giving him that kind of money. Unless Thorn has something up his sleeve or Boozer just wants a change of scenery. Still very intriguing to me and I will be following closely what Boozer does this offseason.
PsychoNetsFan34

Postby rjsb12 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:28 pm

I know Boozer wants to live near his child that lives in Miami, so NJ is like a 3 hr flight to Florida that would be awesome to have Boozer.
rjsb12

Postby gigantes » Fri May 08, 2009 11:35 pm

what a cool encounter.

but is there any reason to rule him out from going to the knicks, not jersey?
gigantes

Postby Vuchato » Fri May 08, 2009 11:48 pm

I'd love to have him on the team, with Devin, Vince, Boozer and Brook, we would have a great chance to be a championship threat. I think he'd opt out. But we wouldn't have enough capspace to sign him. So we'd probably either have to move Simmons along with some other value, or Vince to get him. With Boozer, maybe we'd give up Yi, I think we'd have to give up more too. Also, they have Okur already at center, I don't really think they'd want Yi as well, they're both more perimeter oriented. So I think Vince would probably be involved in the deal.
Vuchato

Postby PsychoNetsFan34 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:05 am

gigantes wrote:what a cool encounter.

but is there any reason to rule him out from going to the knicks, not jersey?

I thought that afterwords but I don't know, I would think he would want to live in NYC if hes making the change from Utah to the Knicks. But we shall see, for all I know he was just yanking my chain and was just visiting family or a friend or had business or something. But from the way he sounded he seemed like it was a possibility.
PsychoNetsFan34

Postby ghoti » Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 am

Grand Luxe Cafe is the ish.
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby PsychoNetsFan34 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:37 am

ghoti wrote:Grand Luxe Cafe is the ish.

GO NETS!!! yea it is. my girlfriend loves it. However its rather expensive. Dropped 60 bucks with tip just for Lunch...
PsychoNetsFan34

Postby Jerkstore » Sat May 09, 2009 1:04 am

wow that is crazy awesome, yeah Simmons and maybe swap picks? wow, that is interesting.
Jerkstore

Postby GMJ » Sat May 09, 2009 1:39 am

If he wants be closer to his daughter he could play for Orlando or Miami.

It doesn't make sense to move so that you can limit your flight time to 3 hours. I know it's 4.5 from AZ to Newark. It can't be much more (less?) from Utah to NJ.
GMJ

Postby pegs » Sat May 09, 2009 1:43 am

PsychoNetsFan34 wrote:
I thought that afterwords but I don't know, I would think he would want to live in NYC if hes making the change from Utah to the Knicks. But we shall see, for all I know he was just yanking my chain and was just visiting family or a friend or had business or something. But from the way he sounded he seemed like it was a possibility.

Well, supposedly, he did lie to a blind man. I would say it's a good possibility.
pegs

Postby dex » Sat May 09, 2009 7:05 am

I'm not Boozer's biggest fan, but adding him to the solid trio we have right now would be interesting, it'd be great to have a core of Harris-Carter-Boozer-Lopez, you could have a defensive minded SF like Hassell to complete an awesome starting five, with great role players like Dooling, Hayes, Douglas-Roberts coming off the bench.

I don't know if we have the cap space (they could try to make a sign-and-trade with the Jazz involving Simmons' expiring contract, our pick and maybe a young player like Yi or Anderson) and I'm not so sure the Nets would be willing to spend the money, but since they are not likely to land a better FA in 2010, I wouldn't mind speeding up the process by adding a player like him to our current solid core.

Just throwing some ideas.
dex

Postby NetIncome » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 am

Imagine if you will, the New York Knicks and Utah Jazz trade power forwards...David Lee for Carlos Boozer...after contracts are massaged: Lee signed by the Knicks then traded, Boozer extended to a long term contract with a smaller salary upfront, a la Carter. Imagine as well some sort of expanded deal in which the Knicks somehow get back their 2010 draft pick which the Jazz now hold.

That would make a lot more sense to the Jazz than Bobby Simmons and a pick or two or three.

The commute between Bergen County and Greenburgh, NY, home of the Knicks training facility, is very easy. On the other hand, working in New York and living in New Jersey subjects you to double taxation. This, I know.

(And I had a similar experience recently and know the unmitigated joy of chance meetings like that. Good for you.)
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby PsychoNetsFan34 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:46 am

The only thing I can think of with Boozers contract is if he opts out this off season, maybe the Nets are promising him big bucks during the 2010 season and on. For me I wouldn't mind using that money on a guy like Boozer. With moving Yi to the bench that gives our bench some versatility to our already deep bench. And a front line of Harris,Carter, (TBD), Boozer, and Lopez is nothing to laugh about. Thats a heck of a tough starting line up in the East.

Again this all just speculation but its a fun little mystery during the boring off-season.
PsychoNetsFan34

Postby NetIncome » Sat May 09, 2009 10:21 am

Nets would have to do a sign-and-trade and only two players could go west in a straight up deal: Simmons or Carter. The Jazz just lost their owner and could go on the market. I find it hard to imagine they would take on Carter and the $37.64 million he's owed through 2012. Wouldn't be prudent to load up like that if you're trying to find a buyer.

The ONLY Nets scenario that makes sense to me is a draft day deal in which the Nets trade Simmons, someone like Anderson or CDR, their lottery pick and maybe one of the extra picks in 2010 or 2011 for Boozer, another player and/or the Jazz's 20th pick in the draft this year or maybe one of their picks in next year's draft, their own or the Knicks' (doubt that!). The Jazz know that Boozer wants an extension this year. That's the purpose of having a player option, to permit an extension. So it could be "use him or lose him". Plus, it would give them a chance to focus on Millsap this summer. The Nets wouldn't be able to negotiate with him officially until July 1 and sign him until July 8...but there is no way they would make this deal without some basic understanding.

What's the advantage for the Jazz...draft picks and a young player...and some cap space after next season. They have been stockpiling picks. Yeah, they might be able to get a better deal, but people thought the Raptors might be able to get a better deal too. Instead, they wanted draft picks and thanks to Kiki Vandeweghe they had them. Most superstar deals work this way: team gets tired of a player, sends him away for a combination of younger player(s), pick(s) and cap space.

Boozer's agent is Image Rob Pelinka.
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby CalamityX04 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Harris,VC, X, Boozer n Lopez... that's very solid with 2 great hustle character type guys in the paint. Finally someone else can be used for the pick n roll n let Brook dominate the rim! Boozer is a great team player on the court, i like that about him...and his game of course...

I'm getting the idea we can't just sign him as a FA right? sign n trade?

Well the Jazz needs scorers, defensively their solid but they need scorers...

SImmons, Najera and our first next year for Boozer? i was really debating whether to add Boone too but not too sure...
works out on the trade machine http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=qts9qa
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby NetIncome » Sat May 09, 2009 12:15 pm

CalamityX04 wrote:I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Harris,VC, X, Boozer n Lopez... that's very solid with 2 great hustle character type guys in the paint. Finally someone else can be used for the pick n roll n let Brook dominate the rim! Boozer is a great team player on the court, i like that about him...and his game of course...

I'm getting the idea we can't just sign him as a FA right? sign n trade?

Well the Jazz needs scorers, defensively their solid but they need scorers...

SImmons, Najera and our first next year for Boozer? i was really debating whether to add Boone too but not too sure...
works out on the trade machine http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=qts9qa

Come on...no one wants Najera right now, not with $11 million guaranteed over four years. If you're going to propose a trade, propose one that the other team would be happy with. CDR or Anderson would be required in any kind of deal like that and I would do it in a heart beat. Maybe a swap of picks this year, or to be more specific, a swap of players after the draft. That way, you dont fall into the trap of not being able to trade next year's PICK. Add Ronnie Price or the draft rights to Ante Tomic on the other side if you want.
NetIncome
NetsDaily.com

Postby MyNetsForLife » Sat May 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Does anyone know about Boozer's injury history? Does he have any chronic problems that could cut his seasons or career short?

NetIncome wrote:
Come on...no one wants Najera right now, not with $11 million guaranteed over four years. If you're going to propose a trade, propose one that the other team would be happy with. CDR or Anderson would be required in any kind of deal like that and I would do it in a heart beat. Maybe a swap of picks this year, or to be more specific, a swap of players after the draft. That way, you dont fall into the trap of not being able to trade next year's PICK. Add Ronnie Price or the draft rights to Ante Tomic on the other side if you want.

Why would they take on Simmons for another year, just so they could get Anderson and swap first rounders? Wouldn't they be better off letting Boozer walk so they could re-sign Milsap?
MyNetsForLife

Next

Return to Nets