Sports blogs for fans, by fans.

G . wallace at the 4 spot over hump what u think

Nets-related discussion.

G . wallace at the 4 spot over hump what u think

Postby nj/bknets » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 am

hear coach Avery is thinking about making wallace the starting 4 .. that would be a nice move , but how about making blache the starting four ...something like how the laker have there starting line up two 7'0 your thought please
nj/bknets

Re: G . wallace at the 4 spot over hump what u think

Postby Dumpy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 am

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of the preseason games, so I can't really comment on the substance. But i'd like to just say that i've never understood this obsession with who starts a game. The players who start aren't necessarily the players who on the court the most minutes or who are on the court to finish the games. Jason Collins started as a net but still averaged less than 20 minutes a game. However, I felt that Coach Frank was trying to put him in situations when he would be most successful and most helpful. Similarly, the question with regard to who starts at the 4 is: Who would be the most effective playing alongside Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Brook Lopez? What does that core really need? You don't need much scoring, because those three guys are probably going to be your first three offensive options. I guess you need an enforcer, defensive, hustling, rebounding type. That would be Gerald Wallace. So what do you need for the fifth guy? Should Wallace and Blatche be on the court at the same time, or do you need some other combination of attributes from your two forwards? What do you think?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. --Albert Einstein
Dumpy

Postby canofan42 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Dumpy wrote:Admittedly, I haven't seen any of the preseason games, so I can't really comment on the substance. But i'd like to just say that i've never understood this obsession with who starts a game. The players who start aren't necessarily the players who on the court the most minutes or who are on the court to finish the games. Jason Collins started as a net but still averaged less than 20 minutes a game. However, I felt that Coach Frank was trying to put him in situations when he would be most successful and most helpful. Similarly, the question with regard to who starts at the 4 is: Who would be the most effective playing alongside Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Brook Lopez? What does that core really need? You don't need much scoring, because those three guys are probably going to be your first three offensive options. I guess you need an enforcer, defensive, hustling, rebounding type. That would be Gerald Wallace. So what do you need for the fifth guy? Should Wallace and Blatche be on the court at the same time, or do you need some other combination of attributes from your two forwards? What do you think?

Nailed it.

I agree with Dumpy that it doesn't really matter who starts. We can start Hump, and then if it isn't working, quickly sub in someone else, or vice versa with Wallace at the 4. I don't see why people are making a big deal about this, it's something that can quickly be adjusted in-game if it doesn't work out.
canofan42

Postby ghoti » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55 pm

If you want Brooks on the court at the end of games, and I do, then you have to play Wallace at the 4.

I really don't care who starts. Start Bogans if you think that'll help the porous defense.
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

message for dumpy regarding who's at 4 spot

Postby nj/bknets » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:38 pm

I think you make a great point about its not who's on the floor at the start of the game rather than who end the game. and you are 100 right about that, but reason why its important because most 4 now days are more athletic then hump i see the knicks are thinking about playing melo, boston plays k.g heat plays l.james....laker play gosol oklahoma plays serg..... so it important because you dont want to fall behind early in a game and have to play catch up from the start of the game... i think one guy said we can sub early if we fall behind yeah thats true but why put yourself in that position if you can prevent it in the first place.. nothing against hump its just about matching well against the other teams.. but you are 100 right about it who finish the game what counts the most. beside that i think hump will be a great 2 unit guy that give you plenty of energy... just my opinion but again value your answer too.
nj/bknets

Postby Dumpy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 pm

nj/bknets, you make a GREAT point about focusing on matchups. I really wish the team would consider changing the starting lineup on a nightly basis based on the matchup. There are very, very few teams that do that. I don't know why--is it because they think the players will get angry because they think they should start every single game? I just don't get it. Think of how the Hawks have used Jason Collins the past few years--he wouldn't play every game, but when he would play, it would be as a starter--it was all about the matchup.

I think that an important goal of the coaching staff is to try to put each player in a position where they will be most likely to succeed. That includes their usage, such as where they get the ball and what you ask them to do on offense, but it also involves who they should be defending--and who is on the floor to defend THEM.

Humphries isn't bad--there are some things he's good at and other things he's not good at. But you shouldn't put him on the court when he could be abused.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. --Albert Einstein
Dumpy

Postby CalamityX04 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Hump out there with Lopez in the starting unit.

I could see in tight close games, Blatche and Lopez being there together...
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby Buddah » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 am

What about Evans? The guy is a board beast with 13 rebounds in 15 minutes. Imagine that doubled? Did anyone see our bench to be this good once the free agent starters got signed? Our bench won the game for us.
Buddah

Postby YehYeh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:39 am

Yup. Evans pretty much put this idea to rest. No way would we want to weaken the wings and leave Hump and Evans on the bench to make room for Brooks. We really need rebounds and muscle at the 4, not more scoring at the wings.
YehYeh

Postby canofan42 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:42 pm

The problem with Evans is he's an offensive black hole. He played GREAT in the second quarter, but in the 4th, he was a little frustrating to watch out there. I think Evans fits well with the starting lineup where there's obviously plenty of scoring options, but with the second unit guys, having him out there can become a little more of an issue.
canofan42

Return to Nets