Re: Rotation and Roles

Postby cpawfan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:26 am

canofan42 wrote:
Williams
Bogans
Johnson
Wallace
Lopez

Bogans is a veteran who knows what he's doing out there, and Brook, he's long and can disrupt a player driving to the basket. Also, he's a very good free throw shooter if he gets a defensive rebound.

So if the opposing team was the Heat, would Joe Johnson be guarding Bosh?
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby pegs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:52 am

cpawfan wrote:
So if the opposing team was the Heat, would Joe Johnson be guarding Bosh?

If we're talking about the Heat, you've obviously got to switch things up. The heat aren't like other teams in the league.

You'd have to switch out Lopez for a quicker player, obviously. Or throw JJ on Bosh like you said, and put a perimeter player on Battier (assuming he'd be in there) to stay on the perimeter.

There's not always a universal lineup you throw out there, either. Maybe Bogans is having an off game all-around, and Watson is better at staying in front of his man better than anyone in this game. I could see Taylor proving himself as a quick, tough defender, and coming in to guard Westbrook, Rondo, Parker, etc.

But If we're going with a vague question, against any team in the league, I'd say the same thing canofan did.
pegs

Postby ghoti » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 am

This is why I think there's a spot for Toko if he can prove he can stay with some of these finesse PF or bigger SF. If Wallace is on the other team's best scorer (in this case, LeBron), they need someone to guard that type of guy.

From what I saw in the summer league, he can cause problems and disrupt things and he's very strong.
Image gfx by gmj
ghoti's 2012-13 Opening Night Starting Five - HELLO BROOKLYN!

Dream RUINED! Thanks for #$%@! NOTHING, Billy King!

http://twitter.com/ghoti00
ghoti
Global Mod

Postby canofan42 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks pegs :D

Speaking of Taylor, I could see him becoming our Devin Harris of those Avery Dallas teams, as someone who can come off the bench and be a lockdown defender on the opponent's best guard. Anyone else see the similarities?
canofan42

Postby cpawfan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 pm

pegs wrote:If we're talking about the Heat, you've obviously got to switch things up. The heat aren't like other teams in the league.

You'd have to switch out Lopez for a quicker player, obviously. Or throw JJ on Bosh like you said, and put a perimeter player on Battier (assuming he'd be in there) to stay on the perimeter.

There's not always a universal lineup you throw out there, either. Maybe Bogans is having an off game all-around, and Watson is better at staying in front of his man better than anyone in this game. I could see Taylor proving himself as a quick, tough defender, and coming in to guard Westbrook, Rondo, Parker, etc.

But If we're going with a vague question, against any team in the league, I'd say the same thing canofan did.

I'm just asking the questions as they occur to me. There is still a lot to be determined about this team. Plus I'm trying to ignore the last two seasons and give Avery a clean slate.
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby CalamityX04 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I want full 100% effort from these guys... win or lose, gimme 100% effort and smart play.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby YehYeh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't think we can play the Heat head to head by going small. Their athleticism would give them an advantage almost everywhere. By going big, playing a slow half court, and forcing the ball down low, we can beat on their bigs most of the game, hoping to wear them down. The second unit should be running against their second unit, hoping that we have an edge there. But we'll probably lose in the 4th qtr anyway.
YehYeh

Postby cpawfan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Anyone still on the Blatche sucks and shouldn't play bandwagon?
cpawfan
Site Admin

Postby canofan42 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:24 pm

I was never against Blatche since it's a total no-risk move, and he has played really well, but it is still preseason. As excited as I am about this team and what we've seen so far, we do have to try to keep things in perspective.

With that being said, if Blatche continues to play this well, and we get what we have been out of CJ Watson, this team could be incredibly dangerous, especially with all the depth we suddenly have.
canofan42

Postby ghoti » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 am

I am comfortable that Blatche will be a lot better than Darko or Nazr Mohammed would have been and that he solves a TON of potential frontcourt issues. It also improves the team by, I'd say, five wins or so over not having him (add 10 more wins if something happens to Lopez) which is a HUGE difference.

This guy got a big contract because the Wizards knew he had the potential to be very good. Too bad they had no idea how to build a team or hire a staff or do anything to maximize that potential.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby mb4th » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:49 am

What's funny is that Blatche is a much more natural basketball player than Lopez. He sees the floor better and he's much more comfortable around the rim.

Theoretically he would be better suited playing with the 1's. So he can clean up around the rim, roll to the bucket etc. It all just comes easier to him

Where Lopez tends to get lost if he's not posting up.

Brook would help the 2nd unit find offense in the half-court with joe

Theoretically
"First I got to get big like Dwight Howard, Im gonna do that"

"We also have Anthony Morrow he’s one of the best for three-point throws. It’s very important for our team. "
mb4th

Postby ghoti » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Right now, I like --

Starters

Williams
Johnson
Wallace
Lopez

and

Blatche against big lineups
Bogans against small lineups

Bench (in order of minutes played)

Blatche
Brooks
Humphries
Watson
Bogans
Evans
Taylor

Not playing (in order of usefulness)

Shengalia/Teletovic/Childress/Stackhouse

That's just for opening day. Hopefully, competition will occur and some of the lower guys like Taylor, Toko, Tele will beat out some of the higher guys like Bogans, Evans, Watson.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby ghoti » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I see Hump being used like Denver used to use Birdman. 15-18 minutes of high-intensity where he doesn't worry about fouls. Too bad Hump can't protect the rim like Birdman used to.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby ghoti » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:24 pm

If basketball is so much easier to Blatche than it is to Lopez, how come Blatche hasn't even been close to Lopez so far in their careers?

I think Blatche is clearly better than Humphries, but he's got a long way to go to be at Lopez's level.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby canofan42 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 pm

I don't like the idea of Blatche starting. I feel like he has a more defined role off the bench and can be more successful with the second unit being a focal point of that lineup. The Nets starting lineup obviously doesn't need scoring, which is primarily what Blatche provides.
canofan42

Postby ghoti » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 am

That's just it. If Blatche is on the floor with backups, he's going to think of himself as a scorer and that has proven to be a disaster.

Let him be a complimentary player with the starters until he learns how to be a part of a team. He's a better defender than Hump, anyway.
Image gfx by gmj

ghoti
Global Mod

Postby CalamityX04 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:26 pm

For now I rather have Blatche out there with the 2nd unit. I really like what I've seen thus far from him(shocked) so putting him in the 2nd unit allows him to play since he would have the most exp in that 2nd unit in the frontcourt area.

I think good things will come from Blatche and would really help us in some games.
WE are Nobody Expects To Succeed

2011 NDF Bracket Champion
CalamityX04

Postby njnets24515 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 pm

5 games in and I absolutely hate Avery Johnson's rotation!!!!!! We have to play Mirza. Why did we sign Mirza if he is not going to play? I rather have signed Gerald Green, Mirza and Green have the same contract. Should have signed Green over Mirza, huge mistake. Blatche needs time with the first unit, and Marshon need more time too, he has visibly improved. Who else has a problem with the rotation?
njnets24515

Postby Drew » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:59 am

Right now Avery doesn't have much of a choice with Mirza. Lopez and Blatche are both playing well at the center position. Hump is doing his thing at the four spot. That leaves one spot for a big left, and the team stinks defensively right now. So Evans is going to get time and Mirza is going to basically be a cheerleader. Mirza will get a shot, hopefully after he gets a little more used to the NBA routine. Avery apparently has no intentions of putting Blatche with the starters, so while it might be a good idea, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
Drew

Postby canofan42 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm not too worried about Avery's rotations. For the most part, they've been working well, and throughout the season, everyone's going to have their opportunity to play and earn more minutes. I think the great thing about all the depth we have is that when someone is struggling, there's somebody else on the bench who can come in and contribute. You saw that in Orlando when Stackhouse was brought in.

When we play five games in seven nights, the depth of our bench will especially come in handy.
canofan42

PreviousNext

Return to Nets